Yes. I thought the comparison between the two Australorps might give everyone something to think about because it's so stark.
I am hopeful I got lucky with mine. Their first year they were every other day layers, they took a lot of last year off, I think there was just too much stress in the air and with the air. This year Alinta when not broody was back to every other day. Brenna has been an inconsistent layer since last year, which is fine.
She has lots of new feather shafts to work on!
20211016_174747.jpg

Sorrel Soup:

3 c.packed washed sorrel leaves**
3 medium potatoes (cubed)
1 small onion (diced)
2 tbs butter
salt & pepper to taste
chicken broth - enough to cover sorrel in pot (or other stock of your preference)

Put sorrel, broth, 1 tbs butter & salt & pepper & cubed potatoes in pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until potatoes are cooked. Meanwhile, place diced onion in fry pan & saute in the remaining 1 tbs butter, stir frequently until translucent and edges are turning slightly brown.

Remove all from heat, allow to cool enough to handle. Pour/scrap everything into blender (sorrel/potato mixture & sauteed onions). Blend well. Chill. Great 'summer soup' served chilled.

Variations: can add shredded carrots, use milk for a creamier soup, and also add green chives for garnish. Some people do not puree this soup, but I much prefer it this way since I usually serve it cold.

**if you use wood sorrel, just puree & strain after cooking seperately, this allows you to use whole plant above ground)
Yum!

Happy Saturday, peeps! (pun intended!)
It’s an absolutely GLORIOUS day! Also, Minnie had one little nugget left in her crop. Coconut oil, fluid and massage broke it up. I saw her work hard to get out a fibrous poop later, so I hope thst was it!

And… drumroll, please… Flash’s crop FINALLY emptied! This one was a lot of work. I won’t go into details again, as some of it comes with significant risk. In the late morning, she was acting unwell, and I saw her really struggling to poop.

I ran inside for something, and once I got back, she had moved and was chipper. I didn’t find the poop plug, but I’m hoping it was the last of what had been backing her up all week.

I hope this means I get to enjoy my girls without nursing them for awhile. And, though they are subdued from the heat, they are getting two full days of free range time. I just hope they don’t overindulge on the roughage.
This seems like the best news you have been able to report in some time. I am so happy for you and the ladies. :ya :ya :wee:wee

Back
Top Bottom