She doesn't look like she is on her last legs but they can go down hill fast so I am mentally prepared.
Her poo is nothing to look at - water with some urates.
What has me more concerned is she keeps needing to have a rest - whereas normally I think she is busy busy. Also she is eating - but not like the ravenous dinosaur that they normally are. Mostly my chickens try to give the impression that I starve them and fall on any food like they have no idea where their next meal might come from - she is definitely eating but 'delicately'.
I examined her last night and didn't find anything amiss and will do so again during the day today and tonight.
I have dropped off the poo at my local vet and have an appointment with an avian vet on Monday.
I will take some video of how she is behaving during the day.
I hope it is nothing too serious RC. :hugs

What Happened!!!

Something destroyed Sansa's tail feathers. I caught her sleeping on the main roost last night as she has been doing. It would seem unlikely that someone did this on the roost last night. Notice Sydney in the nest box. She does this when molting to stay away from everyone else.

View attachment 2867914

Here is Sansa's tail 4 days ago. It looked like this yesterday.

View attachment 2867916

Here it this morning.

View attachment 2867920

What happened! They are shredded. Not pulled out.
Could she have caught them in something? A closing door for instance?

That looks like a disagreeable hen to me....I'll red ahead but look at her face and hackles! That's one intense chicken. But she is really lovely nonetheless. :love

Her little personality comes through on that picture :). I'm grumpy just back off and leave me alone
I'm concerned that Pepper was not self motivating to eat, drink and bathe so I blocked off the nesting boxes this afternoon.

Pepper spent a good ten minutes trying to go over the barrier or pull it down, then hopping out of the coop and staring at the nest boxes to see if she could get in from outside.
She stalked around the backyard for a bit but if any human went near the run she would hurry after them obviously hoping they would unblock the boxes.

Later, when I hadn't seen her for a bit I checked the coop.

PXL_20211017_063943566.jpg

Have you ever seen a crosser expression on a chooks face? It totally says
"If you won't let me use the nesting box I'm going to sit in here and sulk. So there!"
It was only just after 4pm! 🙄 🤣

Meanwhile, Alice and Edwina are just outside the window keeping me company while they preen.
PXL_20211017_065139358.jpg

I'm concerned that Pepper was not self motivating to eat, drink and bathe so I blocked off the nesting boxes this afternoon.

Pepper spent a good ten minutes trying to go over the barrier or pull it down, then hopping out of the coop and staring at the nest boxes to see if she could get in from outside.
She stalked around the backyard for a bit but if any human went near the run she would hurry after them obviously hoping they would unblock the boxes.

Later, when I hadn't seen her for a bit I checked the coop.

View attachment 2868662

Have you ever seen a crosser expression on a chooks face? It totally says
"If you won't let me use the nesting box I'm going to sit in here and sulk. So there!"
It was only just after 4pm! 🙄 🤣

Meanwhile, Alice and Edwina are just outside the window keeping me company while they preen.
View attachment 2868665
I know she's cross, but gosh she's cute 🥰

She doesn't look like she is on her last legs but they can go down hill fast so I am mentally prepared.
Her poo is nothing to look at - water with some urates.
What has me more concerned is she keeps needing to have a rest - whereas normally I think she is busy busy. Also she is eating - but not like the ravenous dinosaur that they normally are. Mostly my chickens try to give the impression that I starve them and fall on any food like they have no idea where their next meal might come from - she is definitely eating but 'delicately'.
I examined her last night and didn't find anything amiss and will do so again during the day today and tonight.
I have dropped off the poo at my local vet and have an appointment with an avian vet on Monday.
I will take some video of how she is behaving during the day.
RC.you need to make her eat a lot.Low nutritional supplement can bring her even more down.There’s absolutely nothing you can do if she stops eating and drinking.i hope she’ll do ok in the future.Please tell if you need help for anything.Hugs :hugs

RC.you need to make her eat a lot.Low nutritional supplement can bring her even more down.There’s absolutely nothing you can do if she stops eating and drinking.i hope she’ll do ok in the future.Please tell if you need help for anything.Hugs :hugs
Thank you Afi. She is eating. I posted last night that she went to bed with a very full crop. And she is drinking maybe more than usual - which could be the cause of the diarrhea, or just be replenishing fluid lost to diarrhea.
I just checked her this morning before it gets light and her crop did empty over night.
So that is one possible issue ruled out.
However, she did not poop a lot overnight and it was liquid.

Back
Top Bottom