I don't think that is quite right is it? I thought the crop was supposed to empty overnight which is why I got up before light to check it before she eats anything.
It was full last night and empty first thing in the morning. I thought that was normal?
YES, RC. You are correct. The crop should be full before bed and empty first thing in the morning. That is a very good sign! :)

So where did the food go? It has to come out. Does anyone know how long it takes for food to travel the length of their digestive system? Is the watery poo maybe from Friday's crop?
I think it varies greatly, Bob. When Flash was backed up, I saw some seeds from several days prior come through her poop. But when they eat berries, I can see blackish/purple poop in a couple hours!

Thanks Shad. I have found a vet who will see her on Monday.
I have been following her around all morning. No poop but eating a bit and drinking. But also napping a lot.
I haven’t separated her but I think I will because the others are beginning to bother her.
Three pictures of her in the last ten minutes. She varies from great to terrible.
I wish I could get a vet appointment earlier.
View attachment 2868794View attachment 2868795View attachment 2868797
RC, have you seen her struggle to poop? Have you seen her consume grit? Will she willingly eat coconut oil on her own?

RC, have you seen her struggle to poop? Have you seen her consume grit? Will she willingly eat coconut oil on her own?
Not seen any struggling to poop. I have seen her eat tiny tiny grit pieces and I have been wandering around my gravel driveway picking up grit to throw in.
I haven't tried coconut oil because her crop emptied. Do you think it lubricates further down the system too? If so, I will try. I am planning on separating her this afternoon - she is staying apart from the others anyway and I need her to be readily grabbable for the vet visit. So I will try to give her some coconut oil when I have her in the hospital box (which is in the coop). I will put the coconut oil in the fridge now to harden it up.

I am wavering in my resolve to put Minnie in the hospital crate (aka brooder) because I was walking by their yard and saw this.
If ultimately she doesn’t make it I would rather her time was spent like this than locked up. I will have to put her in tonight so I can be sure of getting her to the vet on time, but I think it can wait a bit.

Pumpkin roasting in the oven, seeds already toasted. Gut scrapings taken out to the chickens. Birds skittish but running for treats, what is this?! Is it safe? Is it scrumptious? Greedy guts aka Cuckoo tried first. She's willing to eat anything and has the biggest crop at bedtime (even bigger than the adults). No picks: pumpkin slimed fingers aren't touching the phone until washed. not as big a hit as sardines, but on par with rice.

Back
Top Bottom