2nd pullet egg. Probably Nellie, could be ThingView attachment 2869563
Went out to close the coop....most of the ladies outside...???....inside coop, Cheetah, Thing, Storm, Twirp. (3 lowest females in pecking order). Why everyone else outside? They (inside) closed the hatch (moved a rock), locking the other girls out. If they (outside) tapped on the door, it would swing open....
Way to go ladies. Get some peace and quiet. 😆

The three have been driving out Tina and Agatha is just terrified. I may have done wrong but it's raining and amber isn't as bad, so put flexi and princess into the small coop.

I want the little ones to have some freedom and amber has been eating carrot tops with the littles. She has to stop pecking too

20211018_140248.jpg

I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
Oh, Lozzy. I’m so very sorry. RIP, Charlie. :hugs

You had to be able to gather her up this morning. It's easy to feel sad for her but she will make it. You had to be able to gather her without stressing her too much so it was a trade off. She will be back with them soon. :hugs :hugs
Agree. You did the right thing. I didn’t realize by “separate,” you meant she’d still be with them. Looking forward to an update after the vet.

Maybe they'll end up with names like Fax, Copy, Carbon, Simile?
You will doubtless be pleased to read that you have won the impossible competition of coming up with a set of officially approved Shad style chicken names.
I'm going to use the names you've suggested. All I have to do now is work out who should have which name.:cool:

Agree. You did the right thing. I didn’t realize by “separate,” you meant she’d still be with them. Looking forward to an update after the vet.
Yes. I have a 2x3 brooder box built inside the coop part of the Chicken Palace. Can be used for chicks or to isolate (of course not if something contagious is suspected).
I put Elizabeth in there for her last hours so she was surrounded by happy chicken friends and not pecked at.
Here is Minnie looking the picture of misery waiting for the vet. She did eat some sunflower seeds in the carrier but she also produced pure clear liquid instead of anything like real poop in her box over night.
8725AA3A-9419-4A8C-8025-FD7311A79A43.jpeg

Well, fall came on quickly! we had a little rain last night! Glorious rain! When my kids were little, often fleece Halloween costumes were WAY too warm. Unless we get another heat wave, which is highly unlikely, not this year!
25895E5C-CDD8-413D-8A3C-F7E19D670852.jpeg

I’ll be keeping an eye on my molters. It’s Roxy taking it the hardest this yead; she put herself to bed pretty early last night, but I brought her baby bird formula and chopped beef liver and let her eat as much as she wanted before I shared with everyone else, who werre having a last little run about since they had been hiding from wind all day.

Back
Top Bottom