Just checking in with a quick update on Minnie. We are back from the vet and not a lot to report except I feel like I am a terrible chicken caretaker and I am trying to tell myself it is because I am still learning.
The good news is I really like the vet I went to even though she is a fair bit away. She isn't a chicken expert but she does have her own small backyard flock.
Trouble is, to quote the vet "Minnie didn't tell me much". So no impaction that she could feel. She thinks she has lost weight and is too skinny (which is what makes me feel so terrible because I didn't notice that at all). She thinks is worried that 'something is going on' beyond either parasites or molting.
She will call me tomorrow when results are back but in the meantime she approved of the beef liver with chopped cabbage diet supplement and suggested I add some electrolyte powder to her water as she is probably losing a lot in the diarrhea.
The treatment plan for now is mainly supportive: let her run around with everyone else during the day because it is stressful to separate her but put her in the brooder box at night so she wakes up and I can be sure she has eaten a hearty breakfast before letting her out. Add electrolytes to her water and make sure she isn't in any drafts (it is getting cold at night now.
I feel quite sad and desperate to be honest - how can I have let her lose weight and not notice? I have bought scales so that won't happen again.
Oh, RC. Please don’t beat yourself up. I HAVE a scale and was horrified when I weighed Minnie over the weekend. We can only do our best and learn. I personally think it’s good news that there is not an obvious problem at this time. Hugs to you! :hugs

I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
I'm so sorry my friend :hugs

Go well, Charlie.

I was a little unnerved with shad's ways for a while. But more and more I'm getting him now I'd love him nearby and 2 roads down :D:lol:. I feel life would be a lot easier having near but not to close :plbb

Sorry shad but just saying how I used to be and can't help joking.

I'm caught up settling these girls but want to make a list of shad's use of meds.
Once you've realised I've got a kind heart the bad attitude seems trivial.:p

You will doubtless be pleased to read that you have won the impossible competition of coming up with a set of officially approved Shad style chicken names.
I'm going to use the names you've suggested. All I have to do now is work out who should have which name.:cool:
Wa-hey!!

Back
Top Bottom