Just checking in with a quick update on Minnie. We are back from the vet and not a lot to report except I feel like I am a terrible chicken caretaker and I am trying to tell myself it is because I am still learning.
The good news is I really like the vet I went to even though she is a fair bit away. She isn't a chicken expert but she does have her own small backyard flock.
Trouble is, to quote the vet "Minnie didn't tell me much". So no impaction that she could feel. She thinks she has lost weight and is too skinny (which is what makes me feel so terrible because I didn't notice that at all). She thinks is worried that 'something is going on' beyond either parasites or molting.
She will call me tomorrow when results are back but in the meantime she approved of the beef liver with chopped cabbage diet supplement and suggested I add some electrolyte powder to her water as she is probably losing a lot in the diarrhea.
The treatment plan for now is mainly supportive: let her run around with everyone else during the day because it is stressful to separate her but put her in the brooder box at night so she wakes up and I can be sure she has eaten a hearty breakfast before letting her out. Add electrolytes to her water and make sure she isn't in any drafts (it is getting cold at night now.
I feel quite sad and desperate to be honest - how can I have let her lose weight and not notice? I have bought scales so that won't happen again.
Thank you for the update RC. I hope Minnie is improving.
Don't be too hard on yourself. We can only do what we can do and you always do your best.
We are all still learning from our own and each other's experience. :hugs

Sweet Platina. :love You are doing well with her. She looks feisty.

Does she curl her toes around your finger if you hold her right foot?
How is she getting on with the rest of the flock?
They've never seen a strawberry before.
You were very brave offering it to them bare handed! Next time you might want to use a long stick! 🤣

I've been thinking about this sort of scale.

View attachment 2870225

And then replacing the tray with a thick branch.

Then I can sneak out after dark and move a sleeping hen from her roost onto the thick branch and hold her steady until the scale has taken her full weight. Read the dial. Put the hen back on the roost. Come back a week later to do another hen.
I love this idea. 😍

You could have a hook hanging from the fun run roof to hang it from when you do the weighing. If I got one it would have to hang from a tree! 😁

That's Lima at the front of the picture with her Legbar friend who is going to be called Similie, aka Sim on her right.
In the hole is Fret. That's Matilda's white arse in the background.
Lima is senior to Fret and Cloud and on Par with Matilda.:th
View attachment 2870410
Of course Fret is in the hole. Where else would we find her? :confused: 😆

I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
oh Loz,I’m so sorry,I’m sure Charlie is resting in peace,don’t worry I’ve gone through the deaths of my 10 bantams and 3 rocks.Together 13,i know how it feels like,hugs :hugs

Just checking in with a quick update on Minnie. We are back from the vet and not a lot to report except I feel like I am a terrible chicken caretaker and I am trying to tell myself it is because I am still learning.
The good news is I really like the vet I went to even though she is a fair bit away. She isn't a chicken expert but she does have her own small backyard flock.
Trouble is, to quote the vet "Minnie didn't tell me much". So no impaction that she could feel. She thinks she has lost weight and is too skinny (which is what makes me feel so terrible because I didn't notice that at all). She thinks is worried that 'something is going on' beyond either parasites or molting.
She will call me tomorrow when results are back but in the meantime she approved of the beef liver with chopped cabbage diet supplement and suggested I add some electrolyte powder to her water as she is probably losing a lot in the diarrhea.
The treatment plan for now is mainly supportive: let her run around with everyone else during the day because it is stressful to separate her but put her in the brooder box at night so she wakes up and I can be sure she has eaten a hearty breakfast before letting her out. Add electrolytes to her water and make sure she isn't in any drafts (it is getting cold at night now.
I feel quite sad and desperate to be honest - how can I have let her lose weight and not notice? I have bought scales so that won't happen again.
RC,really? you’re struggling and doing everything to save Minnie.How could you say you’re a bad chicken caretaker after giving all you could?I didn’t ask anyone to take peanut(my dead rock)to the vet because i thought she was totally fine even though she had a ghastly dangerous sort of diahrrea!,I just grieve now and miss her.It’s all my fault that they’re all DEAD.Why are you worrying so much?Minnie will be fine and I know she will,she’s amazing and I’d do anything you ask me to save her,all I’m saying is for you to not be too hard on yourself and tell if you need anything to help Minnie,I’m sending all my hugs for You and Minnnie,I hope she’ll be ok soon. :hugs :hugs :hugs

I've been thinking about this sort of scale.

View attachment 2870225

And then replacing the tray with a thick branch.

Then I can sneak out after dark and move a sleeping hen from her roost onto the thick branch and hold her steady until the scale has taken her full weight. Read the dial. Put the hen back on the roost. Come back a week later to do another hen.
That’s a good idea!
I weigh myself on the bathroom scale then take that out side, weigh me holding each one and work out the difference for their weight.
my scale does the first decimal point so wouldn’t be far off precise weight give or take 50gms.

That’s a good idea!
I weigh myself on the bathroom scale then take that out side, weigh me holding each one and work out the difference for their weight.
my scale does the first decimal point so wouldn’t be far off precise weight give or take 50gms.
That's much more practical! The big problem I've got is that I don't like knowing my weight 🤔😬

Back
Top Bottom