That’s a good idea!
I weigh myself on the bathroom scale then take that out side, weigh me holding each one and work out the difference for their weight.
my scale does the first decimal point so wouldn’t be far off precise weight give or take 50gms.
That’s how I do it . (Reminds me to keep my weight under control as well) :D

I feel quite sad and desperate to be honest - how can I have let her lose weight and not notice?
They are very good at hiding things from us. Please do not punish yourself for this. It is very hard to notice things like this.

I have bought scales so that won't happen again.
What frequency are you planning to weight them? Are these scales that the rest of us could also obtain? Maybe Amazon? Could you share? I feel like I need a set now too.

They are very good at hiding things from us. Please do not punish yourself for this. It is very hard to notice things like this.

What frequency are you planning to weight them? Are these scales that the rest of us could also obtain? Maybe Amazon? Could you share? I feel like I need a set now too.
@MaryJanet Has come up with a perfect idea imo. She posted yesterday Bob

I'm in trouble. I know this and it hasn't even got to me yet.
I've been putting in a lot of chicken hours. A lot of those hours have been spent trying to work out who is who, who does what and who needs the most help.
I've done a fair bit of work as well but mainly I've been getting to know the group.
Most days this has meant at least two and sometimes four hours out of the run.
That's the coop and run in the background. There is at least a further 6 metres directly behind me and more to my left and right. That's a lot of space and freedom compared to the run. A few hens have shaken off their agoraphobia faster than others. I've got two that will be in the vegetable patches before long.
View attachment 2870270
This has become the safe area. There are a couple of trees, I've left a large clump of weeds and nettles to the right of the picture and there are patches of long grass. The chickens like this area. It's close to what they know and they can survey the future adventuring from a safe place. They tend to head out on expeditions and as long as I or Henry are close by they'll happily forage as far as we will go.
View attachment 2870280
Henry tends to stop them once they get to close to the goose enclosure which is to the left of the picture. I let them go into the goose enclosure but keep an eye on them. The geese while tolerant are not overly impressed with having chickens in their home.
Diet and hygine has taken a major turn for the better for all concerend. I clean the coop out daily to a reasonable standard. With that many chickens roosting in such a small space it needs doing.
Only three hens are laying eggs. They lay in the second broody coop at the back of the main coop.
I did wonder how long it would take before a hen started to think that making a nest away from the coop might be a good idea. This hen,one of the Golden Comets has been veturing further than any of the others and for the past few evenings I've watched carefully because she does a temporary disappearing act. She's been investigating all the dense udergrowth, bushes and places close to the rather rickety fence that surrounds the "free range" area. I've seen this behaviour a lot before and I know she's looking for a nest site. I think Henry knows to.
Suppose I was to say that I think she is thinking about making a nest and sitting on eggs. She's an Ex Batt bear in mind and I am told by many with great authority that this just doesn't happen. I know what I'm seeing. She is most definitely looking for a nest site. If Henry had spent more time free ranging and had less hens I would bet he would be helping her look.
Of course, the experts will say I'm deluded but just say for a moment that I'm not and she is looking for a nest site having spent the last year laying in the broody coop, the only sensible place she's had regular access to.
The implication of this, if I am right about what I'm seeing is she is already thinking about going broody.
View attachment 2870323
I agree with your line of thinking. If you remember back when Phyllis was laying in the deck box I let her go but I took the eggs. I just recently put things together. She was going to try and hatch there. It was right before she started setting in the coop.

By the way, established chicken wisdom says that Polish do not go broody.

Phyllis would disagree.

Big Coop Cam_20210708_131104.jpg

That’s a good idea!
I weigh myself on the bathroom scale then take that out side, weigh me holding each one and work out the difference for their weight.
my scale does the first decimal point so wouldn’t be far off precise weight give or take 50gms.
That is what I have historically done but the math is getting hard.....🙄

Hi,um one of my chicks has a splayed leg,I banadaged his two legs and left a little gap,he’s not eating,much,so I’m hand feeding him,is it ok?
I'm sorry I don't know. I have never treated a splayed leg. Have you checked on the injury/illness threads?

Where's Bob. I miss him
I'm sorry Marie. I have been tied up. I'm back this morning.

Can you describe in length what is going on with your ladies now? I am wondering if what you are seeing is normal and needs to play out or if it is excessive. The addition of new hens to an existing group can be a vicious looking process and still be normal.

I ordered straw for the girls from the rescue shop on the 2nd of this month. I called twice the first time I was told it was delayed due to the petrol shortage then I called again and was immediatly offered a refund, :( which defeated the object of a donation.
So I was at least expecting this to arrive this morning but still no show :(

I actually called the supplier just now and they very kindly said they would send me some for free.

What has made me sad is I felt as if i was nuisance asking when this straw would arrive at this rescue shop. When all I was trying too do is support them because I wholly believe in this charity.

Currently I'm left with nothing I'm happy with because the barley straw I bought previously I found too be too rough.

Blowing my own trumpet I think I would make a pretty good phone shop sales lady, maybe I will offer my phone services.

Friendly communication and patience are fundamental in sales especially when it's too aid a charity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom