I know I've been MIA again...so weird how my job doesn't pay me to do whatever I want 😆
Although being too busy with work for my liking, you can rest assured Dr. Tacky is keeping good watch on me.
20211019_181042.jpg

I hope everyone is happy, healthy and full of cheer!

I know I've been MIA again...so weird how my job doesn't pay me to do whatever I want 😆
Although being too busy with work for my liking, you can rest assured Dr. Tacky is keeping good watch on me.View attachment 2871563
Best kind of Dr is that.:love

Although being too busy with work for my liking, you can rest assured Dr. Tacky is keeping good watch on me.View attachment 2871563
Has your redheaded back anyways ! (Just saying) :lau

Visit from a Hawk

While I was outside with all 8 of the hens free ranging yesterday we had a hawk stop by for a visit. I was standing on the deck with the grown up six, having just given them some pasta to chow down on. When Lilly who had not quite made it to the deck zipped into the butterfly bush. She moved so quickly that I knew something was up. I immediately looked to the sky and a hawk swooped in from over the shed and roosted in the birch tree. Here is where the hawk roosted and where the littles were located when it did.
Resized_20211018_181228.jpeg

At the time none of the other 7 hens knew the hawk was there. Lilly did not make a sound. Hattie was at my feet so I shushed under the table on the deck and threw more pasta there to get everyone under the table.

Then I took off after the hawk. I needed to make certain it was gone before it saw the littles. I did not even get around the pool and it vacated the area leaving as it had come.
I then called Lilly over and lectured her for not alerting everyone else. I don't believe that those on deck ever knew a hawk was present. It is certain that the littles had no idea as they were happily peeping away.

I'm pleased it went well last night. As others have said, I do think you're over thinking this a bit. Nasty as it seems to us it is normal chicken behaviour & really quite mild. Usually it settles down pretty quickly unless the girls are interfered with. Bob's ladies are rather the exception to the rule. :plbb Lots of space, which you're giving them, is key to a smooth integration. It sounds like it's going really well to me. My 1st integration I knew nothing & my bullies bailed the newbies up in the coop & wouldn't let them anywhere near the food & water. Now I have super smooth integrations but even so there is always some pecking goes on while everyone works things out.
Just can't avoid poking me can you. :tongue:tongue

Someone was content to sit and browse facebook with me this afternoon for a hour. Did not have the tv turned on, instead had pandora on listening to music. He didn't care, he was just happy to sit and sleep in my lap undisturbed. He's also forgone my hand thankfully for Creamy. I didn't think he was big enough to breed the big stock hens, I was very wrong.
View attachment 2871505
This one seems like he's going to be a challenge for you to manage. :D

It helps to have a head covering. This I know well.

Great picture. Thanks for sharing. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom