RC, I’d say definitely, for sure she’s adjusting her crop. It sounds like you’ve got a handle on it! ❤️
Thank you for taking the time to watch them. I really hope you are right.
Last night she roosted with everyone else so I let her be until 5am when we had our little coconut and massage routine. I would say her crop was almost empty this morning - just some sludgy stuff right at the bottom which I pummeled around in case that helped to get it moving.
Again today she sort of relaxed during the massage. I can highly recommend this as a soothing morning routine to sit in the coop in the dark with a warm and sleepy chicken tucked under one arm while you knead at her crop. Honestly I am beginning to think this is as much for me as for her! Maybe I should do this for everyone in the flock in turn!
A couple of other quick updates yesterday she ate a lot - I kept her in the hospital to make sure she ate - beef and mash from commercial feed with cabbage. She likes the cabbage best and picks it out - but ate a couple of heaped table spoons of that mixture. This morning when I put her into the hospital bed she tucked in to breakfast immediately even though it is still dark. Today I am serving scrambled egg with beef cabbage and Kefir (for the probiotics).
I am really, really hoping she will come through this. I have to go on a business trip next week and I am not sure I can ask the lady who will care for my animals to do this routine so really hoping she is better by the weekend. :fl :fl
Finally, ages back @Shadrach had mentioned having a headlamp with a red light. I already used a headlamp so I just filed it away in memory banks. My old one is still working but is getting to the end of its natural life (already extended with a fair bit of tape) so I splashed out and got a new one with a red light option. It is a game changer! The ladies can still see I am there but they are way less disturbed by the red light.
Sorry for long ramble!

Just wanted to brag that both Flash and Minnie had completely empty crops this morning. 😊 Flash seems to be fine and is eating. Minnie, not so much. But she seems happy and her body language is good.

Also, I didn’t get any photos, but instead of free ranging the girls after work, I sat with them in the run. They seemed to love it and I got lots of lap visits. It was drizzling on my way home from work, which is why I didn’t let them out. I didn’t want them getting wet so close to roosting time.

As soon as I got settled in my chair with a towel across my lap, it started raining heavily and I was glad we were all in together. ❤️
So happy about Flash and your Minnie. Good news! And how lovely to shelter with them from the rain. Sounds idyllic!

Yesterday Kiko and I went on a late afternoon stroll. She likes to perch on my shoulder as we go on our afternoon walks. She’s the little chick that I rescued back in May, she is a very special one indeed.

View attachment 2873174
View attachment 2873175
View attachment 2873176
Oh how beautiful and how special that you were able to rescue her - I remember your first photo of her - it would be fun to post that again as a 'then and now'.
I love that she goes for a walk with you. So special!

I’ve seen all the links provided to help me,the only problem is me,the thing is that pop got splay legs from a week old and from my unattendance he’s still splayed till now.
Eight week old.
Could u believe that he could bring back his beautiful legs by suffering the childhood leg damage that had grown even more by 7 weeks?
The bandage I put on him will probably be useless as the tiny yogurt cup,hobble,toilet paper can and others I tried as well.Saturday is the last day for the bandage to reveal what it’s really doing inside,Sunday’s our flight to Dubai and there’s no chance I’m taking by opening it early,I’m giving it the best to hand feed him.
P.s the aviary vet I took him to said there was nothing wrong about his weight and diet,he said his legs will heal anyway,and that’s when I knew that vet was inexperienced,in fact that he did not know about splay legs at all.I’ve been troubling with Pop for weeks to make him thrive and the vet’s saying the leg will heal?i don’t really think he expected me to make pop suffer and thrive for months,I don’t know what to do.I hope pop’s gonna be ok.
So sorry. :hugs

Some light reading on avian malnutrition. Hmmm… I have to wonder about (my) Minnie and her ataxia followed by anorexia. The anorexia may have come first and I just didn’t notice. Possible thiamine deficiency? It might be interesting to have her levels tested, if that’s a possibility with my avian vet.
I think there is a lot of thiamine in sunflower seeds, yoghurt and meat. I think yours get most of that don't they?

Thank you for taking the time to watch them. I really hope you are right.
Last night she roosted with everyone else so I let her be until 5am when we had our little coconut and massage routine. I would say her crop was almost empty this morning - just some sludgy stuff right at the bottom which I pummeled around in case that helped to get it moving.
Again today she sort of relaxed during the massage. I can highly recommend this as a soothing morning routine to sit in the coop in the dark with a warm and sleepy chicken tucked under one arm while you knead at her crop. Honestly I am beginning to think this is as much for me as for her! Maybe I should do this for everyone in the flock in turn!
A couple of other quick updates yesterday she ate a lot - I kept her in the hospital to make sure she ate - beef and mash from commercial feed with cabbage. She likes the cabbage best and picks it out - but ate a couple of heaped table spoons of that mixture. This morning when I put her into the hospital bed she tucked in to breakfast immediately even though it is still dark. Today I am serving scrambled egg with beef cabbage and Kefir (for the probiotics).
I am really, really hoping she will come through this. I have to go on a business trip next week and I am not sure I can ask the lady who will care for my animals to do this routine so really hoping she is better by the weekend. :fl :fl
Finally, ages back @Shadrach had mentioned having a headlamp with a red light. I already used a headlamp so I just filed it away in memory banks. My old one is still working but is getting to the end of its natural life (already extended with a fair bit of tape) so I splashed out and got a new one with a red light option. It is a game changer! The ladies can still see I am there but they are way less disturbed by the red light.
Sorry for long ramble!
:fl I hope Minnie is fully and happily reintegrated before your travel. With all the care you are providing it seems more than possible!
Thanks for mentioning the red headlamp. Think I'll get one too.
And lastly, in terms of thinking of adding all the flock to the morning crop massage routine... all I can think is...who wouldn't enjoy waking to a therapeutic massage each day?

Back
Top Bottom