Marinate, marinate, marinate! Whatever flavor/seasoning you choose, start marinating it ASAP. Better flavor & texture then :) (esp. if marinate has some sort of acid...milk, vinegar, etc.)
SHRA
20211020_134015.jpg

DSCN5504.JPG

There is something wrong with this picture. I'll tell you what it is, Bunny is in the kitchen where she does not belong. The weather has been wonderful in the afternoons so we've started back leaving doors and window's open again before winter hits. Bunny is done raising her chicks and has started back laying. Today makes egg number 3. The problem with this is for the 3rd time she's came in the back door and inspected every square inch of the living room, dining room and kitchen looking for a place to lay. If I let her she would lay that egg in the recliner. After her walk-a-bouts I've carried her to the front porch nest boxes where she used to lay and she's settled in and laid. She could skip the house tour entirely, and she knows that. But nope, have to sneak in and inspect everything and then head straight for the recliner. Also, how can a 5lb hen stomp and sound louder then a 90lb dog walking through the house? CeeCee does not make that much noise when she walks around.

View attachment 2873730
There is something wrong with this picture. I'll tell you what it is, Bunny is in the kitchen where she does not belong. The weather has been wonderful in the afternoons so we've started back leaving doors and window's open again before winter hits. Bunny is done raising her chicks and has started back laying. Today makes egg number 3. The problem with this is for the 3rd time she's came in the back door and inspected every square inch of the living room, dining room and kitchen looking for a place to lay. If I let her she would lay that egg in the recliner. After her walk-a-bouts I've carried her to the front porch nest boxes where she used to lay and she's settled in and laid. She could skip the house tour entirely, and she knows that. But nope, have to sneak in and inspect everything and then head straight for the recliner. Also, how can a 5lb hen stomp and sound louder then a 90lb dog walking through the house? CeeCee does not make that much noise when she walks around.
Have you considered the convenience of a chicken that lays eggs in the kitchen?

View attachment 2873730
I love her already :love Cheeky girl

That should rectify itself, if not too deep of a split, correct?
Naenae had done something to her top beak and the tip went missing...it grew back quickly.not sure if top and bottom beak have different growth/repair rates. Without looking into it, my *guess* would be the lower beak is slower, otherwise we'd probably see more overbites!
I am very reluctant to do anything bar the bare minimum with beak problems.
This study will help explain why.
I'n still horrified that there is an article here on BYC about beak trimming.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

I have reshaped a couple of hens beaks in the past. I do it very carefully with an engineering file, a bit like a nail file. It takes weeks doing a bit at a time, trying to mimic the natural wear achieved when a hen wipes her beak on rough stone.

@Shadrach : question for you...I thought normally the upper beak is a bit longer than the lower one. Not so on this hen......is it because of trimming...or am I not maintaining my hens' beaks well/properly?

Can you use some super glue on her beak...and file it gently if needed...to repair the crack? I had a roo who was fighting and caught his upper beak on a roost....tore it off. I made a 'prosthetic' beak from the curved rim of a plastic container (yes, I know, I am not a fan of plastic, but didn't know what else to do). I oiled where I didn't want the super glue to adhere (the quick), and super glued the prosthetic beak in place. It worked to both protect the quick & allow him to eat some on his own. While this isn't the same, it might keep it from cracking more and give the bottom beak more integrity?

She looks pretty bright-eyed an alert...unlike a couple of the other red hens that seem hunched and unwell or unhappy.

Hopefully you will be able to nurse them to health...or at least make sure they don't suffer.
I think the crack will repair itself. I would use cyanoacrylate adhesive if I thought it needed it.

View attachment 2873730
Fat Bird would be about that size but I rarely heard her when she came in the house. Perhaps the concrete floor was what made the difference.

Back
Top Bottom