Could you ask your helper to put the concoction in the brooder pen with the door open, so Minnie could access it? My thinking is that she might be more likely to go in there to eat it since she is used to that and the others aren't.
I don't have a good picture of your set-up in my head, but am just throwing out ideas.
I will have to think about that idea.
I think she prefers the rough-and-tumble of being with the others so I am not convinced she would jump up to the brooder voluntarily. Diana however would go in there if she thought there was food.
🤔

I will do that before I leave, but if they are very distracted a cabbage will last them a couple of days at most. So I think there is a better chance of Minnie getting cabbage through the week if I dice it up and include it in my frozen pots.
They do all love cabbage!
I would do it anyway, or even hang 2 of them........

HAPPY CATURDAY, EVERYBODY!
8BFD4849-58F0-4445-913E-D268CDE557E0.jpeg

Can you hang a cabbage for them so it's always there?
@BY Bob ::gigI responded with 'laugh' to this one:gig...!always there!. ha, ha ...she's going to be gone for a week! :lau A cabbage only lasts minutes in my pens (well, maybe 1/2 hour):lau:lau

:bowIt is a great thought, and with her small crew & a large cabbage, should last a couple of days at least, and she has mentioned Minni likes cabbage.:bow

Last edited:
Ideas please.
I am feeling much better about leaving Minnie to cope on her own while I am on my trip (I leave Sunday night).
She has fully emptied her crop two days in a row without coconut oil.
My current worry though is getting enough calories into her because as far as I can tell she will not eat the commercial food (same as Maggie on her first molt).
I have been feeding beef, beef liver, scrambled egg, kefir/yoghurt, rice, cabbage and sunflower seeds and she has been out in the yard a lot digging up whatever it is she digs up.
While I am away her yard time will be much more restricted. It won't be zero time out as one of the guys doing work on the house can be trusted to let them out and keep an eye on them and then lock them up when he leaves - but he won't be there every day. Also, I won't be there to provide my home made concoction.
My idea is to leave pots in the freezer of my food concoction and ask the lady who comes to feed the cats to empty one pot into the feed bowl each day. Of course Minnie will have to fight for her share but I can't think of what else to do.
In addition I will leave one extra waterer with Gatorade (now I know she likes it!) and I will water their enclosed pasture run (only 40 square ft) and add leaves to encourage the worms and bugs.
Any other ideas to make sure she doesn't starve while I am away?

Tax
View attachment 2875602
If she's eating any kind of seeds, those suet cakes are filled with seeds and can be hung so she has to work for them. Maybe you can find/make a mealworm/nut cake for extra protein for her.
I will do that before I leave, but if they are very distracted a cabbage will last them a couple of days at most. So I think there is a better chance of Minnie getting cabbage through the week if I dice it up and include it in my frozen pots.
They do all love cabbage!
Hang several cabbages or a pumpkin. As she's eating lots of roots, maybe hang a bundle of beets with the leaves or carrots or potatoes or other root veggies. Possible hang all over their run so they don't have access 24-7 (unless the coop is staying open to the run in which case, go hog wild). If there something hanging from the roof/the roosts every 5 feet or so, they can't eat every crumb in just a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom