It is a very fraught topic, one that we must come to terms with by ourselves as there's no legislation anywhere (as far as I can tell).

I'm very troubled by so-called "waste" cockerels.

As someone who is obliged to ensure my neighbours are not disturbed by noise, I keep hens. My four hens had four brothers.

I have no idea what happened to those brothers. Ground up alive? Heads chopped off? Necks snapped? Roosters?

Terrified and panicked?

Calm and peaceful?

I haven't a clue.

So, my approach in future will be hatch my own and do my own disposals.

First, I'll try rehoming, but I genuinely think most people who accept cockerels eat them, so it might be impossible to find a home where they can live out their days in peace. Second, if I can't find an acceptable home, they will be humanely put to sleep by the vet.

This way the cockerels will live the healthiest and happiest lives I can possibly provide, eventually being rehomed or put to sleep.

My reasons are (1) it puts the responsibility for the brothers of my hens into my own hands and therefore I am able to take up the most ethical stance possible, (2) that step alone takes me out of the market for pullets and relieves other people of killing my hens brothers (2) like every other sentient being, the cockerels won't have any clue of life expectancy, they'll live joyfully in the moment until they must go (3) perhaps they can live their lives out in homes where they will be valued (4) if not, the end will be free of pain and panic.

It took me a long time to construct this stance. But for me, it's the right one.
This is a very helpful perspective for me.
Thank you.
I think I will ask my farm couple what they do with the cockerels. I am 90% sure they get eaten but I may be OK with that if they are humanely dispatched and raised in good conditions up to that point.

PA200560.JPG
PA200561.JPG
PA200562.JPG
PA200566.JPG
PA210600.JPG

Well since it's official I guess it's time to introduce a new permanent resident. Everyone meet Coco my mom's new chicken. He is not new, but just got his name a few days ago. He is the 3rd Drummie x Butter chick I hatched out with Bunnie's chicks. When it became obvious at around 4 weeks old that he was a boy to my dismay I tried to step back from cuddles so I would not get attached for when it came time to rehome. I stepped back a bit and mom stepped in. In my mind Corona was the only chick staying so I've been focusing on taming that little devil, which is really working since Bunny let go of them. The other night when I was putting everyone to bed she told me that Corona would be lonely when her brothers are rehomed. I told her she'd be fine. Then she picks up the then unnamed Coco and told me he had a name and it was Coco. I gave her a funny look and reminded her it was a boy. So she says. Remind her we already had 3 keeper boys and that he was a mix. Again so and as long as he behaved as a adult he was her boy and he stayed. Next year I don't think I'll hatch any Butter chicks, my mom just can't let them go.
Anyway, here he is, he really is a sweet boy and since I know he's staying I've quit distancing myself from him as he is a friendly little thing. Color wise he is exactly what I thought I'd end up with from the Drumstick x Butter cross. I just wanted a girl with that color.
View attachment 2876016View attachment 2876018View attachment 2876019
Congratulations Coco. You have a wonderful house to live at now. You need to listen and no trying to mate with the hand that feeds you!

Tea Time

The ladies and I are enjoying Tea Time together this afternoon. I am hoping the littles will swing by.

20211023_172833.jpg
20211023_172830.jpg

Hattie is almost done molting and her behavior shows it. She is eating everything now and bullying her way past the others. But the way, she loves those little sugar waters on the saucer. 😉 She did snag one while I wasn't looking. 😲

We got a lot of practice walking today. You never would have guessed this chicken was stuck in the splits.

I'm not sure how normal it is. But only the third in rank is pecking and chasing the lowest. The Second and the Queen are friendly to the lowest member. How usual is this?

I wondered if anyone would spot the chicken footprints on the lovely shiny surface!
It is a digital cooking scale - it weighs up to 22lb (I think I had in mind I could weigh a cat but that is clearly never going to happen) and does so in 0.1 ounce/1g increments.
I think this is the link - it is by 'Nicewell'
https://www.amazon.com/Nicewell-Digital-Graduation-Stainless-Tempered/dp/B07S6F6LHQ
I looked around, looked at cooking reviews, looked at others and ended up getting this one! Thank you for the information.

I've got a slim but fit young hen who has discovered she can fit through a couple of the gaps in the stock net that surrounds the larger area outside the run.
I try to keep an eye on all of them while they are out. I looked over the fence and there she was strolling down the path on the other side of the fence.
This isn't really a problem but I'm not confident she could find her way back at roost time.
What did surprise me is went I went round to get her there was absolutley no fuss when I picked her up and she stayed still in the palm of my hand right up until I had walked round the fence and back in through the gate. She just hopped off my hand then and of course, went straight back to the gap in the fence and out again. Three collections later I blocked the gap up.
She feels a good weight and density for an Ex Batt and she's one of this years. The Ex Batts have arrived in three batches, two this year and one last year.

Henry has been letting me inspect his comb and wattlles at dusk when he perches. The first time I tried over two weeks ago he objected and got of the perch and wouldn't get back on until I backed away from the roost bar. Another few days and I'll be able to give him a decent check over without any fuss. I can catch him in the day if necessary but it's much easier and less stress all round if he'll just stand still like the roosters in Spain and let me get on with it, preferably in daylight.
PA210622.JPG

Back
Top Bottom