There are horses terrified of bags. But if it comes in his stall Dirt thinks it must be eaten. What Dirt hates the most is the fedex and power trucks. Those are horse eating Demons.
When Chaco sees me with a plastic bag, she comes running to me. (There are usually carrots or apples inside) :drool

There are horses terrified of bags. But if it comes in his stall Dirt thinks it must be eaten. What Dirt hates the most is the fedex and power trucks. Those are horse eating Demons.
I once had a horse who didn't blink at F1-11s taking off but was frightened of bunny rabbits ! To be fair those bunnies are quick on their feet, but not as quick as a jet fighter I'd have thought 🤔

I once had a horse who didn't blink at F1-11s taking off but was frightened of bunny rabbits ! To be fair those bunnies are quick on their feet, but not as quick as a jet fighter I'd have thought 🤔
MJ, have you ever seen what a killer rabbit can do? (Monty Python and the holy grail) :lau:gig

Thanks for this discussion, it's something that I think about often as well. I know that I will eventually want to add to my flock and how to go about that is a conundrum.
I have four hens that went broody multiple times this summer, one who was broody five times! :th
It would make sense to let one of these hens hatch, yet I am not sure about the inevitable cockerels.
I don't have experience with cockerels and am frankly a little alarmed by the many threads about problem males on BYC.
I have an acreage in a rural area, so technically could have a rooster, but I quite like the relationship I have currently with my hens. I know that would change with a rooster in the mix.
My husband thinks that roosters are too loud, so he is not a fan. My son's house is very close to the chickens' area and despite being out of town, I still have neighbours who would be able to hear them.
It is not possible to get sexed chicks locally. They can be ordered and flown up by airplane. That's how I got my original chicks, but I think that starting life with an actual mother versus hatching in an incubator and then travelling in a little box on a plane would be so much better, but then again what about the cockerels?
I don't have an answer for myself yet.
How loud is your husband? :p:D

True. It doesn’t sound like much fun for her. I’m not sure how many days it would take, either. I also found a third egg membrane (like it had been a soft egg, but maybe someone ate the insides) on the ground. She’s going haywire like Naenae.
I'm so sorry. :hugs :hugs

Mine will sleep in the nest box from time to time but it's rare. A night here or there but nothing consistent. I don't want the Phyllistines to learn a habit they will need to unlearn but it is the easiest way to separate everyone.

I have an idea on a place to put a roost Phyllis can't reach. I can add one across the endow low that she won't be able to get to just above the window sill I put in for them. That might be the best solution. 🤔
What is the problem with them sleeping in the nest boxes?

Is there a way you can temporarily configure tge Chuckle Hut so there is a barrier?
The problem with the Hut is that it is narrow. I designed it for when they were grown and did not consider this stage well enough.
Is there one door only?
Yes, only 1 door.
How does the nest box open?
The roof opens outside the run.
On that note, it will be interesting to see what nest site Phyllis chooses when she comes back into lay.
It will be. Sydney did lay a couple of eggs in this nest box. Phyllis actually made a nest one morning back when the littles were still in the house and I started putting her in the Hut when she roosted in the run. At that time I had a ceramic egg in there.

That wasn’t bad at all, Bob! It will be great when they calm down snd when their voices change.
Please don't rush their voice change on me. They are already growing too fast. 😥

They did very well today mixing with the big ladies. I'm very proud of everyone involved.

Henry mostly.
PA210602.JPG
PA210603.JPG
PA210604.JPG
PA210601.JPG

Back
Top Bottom