He says he'll do it. I believe him... Or at least I believe he intends to! Ha! The trouble is sourcing an extension cord that long....
Overhand knot 2 extension cords ends together, then plug into each other. there are end covers that can go over that part for extra moisture barriers. Make sure to use cords for outside/industrial use, not indoor/outdoor. They'll last longer. The covers are usually with the Christmas lights and the GOOD cords are in hardware. (Wal-Mart, similar type store or hardware/farm supply stores will have the cords)

Alex, I have to wonder if lots of steak can be hard on their hearts, like in humans. Maybe a break is good? :oops:
Been thinking on your comment all night, and you are correct. I will not be serving so much (meat) to them as I did prior. A good balanced feed should be the priority. Overfeeding chickens treats, isn’t good for their health.
:thumbsup

As you may know, the chickens live on a allotment plot. For the first couple of weeks I didn't see anyone down there when I went for two or three hours in the afternoon. I've seen a few of the people that have plots there now and they've all commented on how pleased they are that I'm looking after the chickens and most have mentioned that the chickens are laready looking a lot healthier. I don't know if this is just because it may be the first time they have seen them out of the run foraging and running about or there has actually been a noticable physical change. I know a few, particularly the Red Sex Kinks have put on weight and their plumage definitely looks in better condition.
I think all chickens tend to look better ranging rather than stuck in a run so that may have sosmething to do with it.View attachment 2879015View attachment 2879018
View attachment 2879014
@Shadrach ,:love (your love of the girls shows!)

Even if they aren't yet 'looking better' feather and weight wide (which, as you pointed out, some are), I am sure their behavior is vastly improved. They are happy and doing 'chicken things' such as foraging and scratching about - and we all know actions and attitude affect how we are perceived! When we are happier, we 'radiate' happiness and energy more:jumpy. I believe the chickens are doing that as well. :yesss:

Kudos to you and cheers to the girls! (and Henry II, too):bun:jumpy

If he starts getting tired of all the hauling, suggest a solar panel mounted out there for a heated waterer.
I am going to try this, using a dog bowl (I have ducks, too, so need a deep water dish for them). If I get it done in time, I'll let you know how it works. Bought small panel, small deep-cycle battery in case it is cloudy, and a 25 Watt heated deep dog dish. Plan is to unplug & empty it at night. Unfortunately, one of a long list of projects, so not sure if I will get it done soon. :(

Back
Top Bottom