My waterer in the coop is a flat-backed rubber bucket with nipples added to it. I'm using a round rubber dish for a lid (wedged into the top) so it can't vacuum seal. The cord goes to the lamp which is aimed at the bucket. Testing this out this winter.
View attachment 2880274

I can state that a lamp aimed at a rubber dish does NOT keep it from freezing AND they can kick all sorts of stuff into the dish/flip the dish. Those dishes have been relegated to catch at the bottom of the downspouts/under the water spigots around the yard.
View attachment 2880276
I've also got a couple of crockpots set to warm around to keep open water in deep winter (they mostly don't use them unless the downspout tubs are frozen).
View attachment 2880275
This one needs refilling.
The crock pot idea is very clever. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

The crock pot idea is very clever. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Local rancher mentioned it as what they did for assorted dogs, cats, other animals at their place. I like it, so stole the idea. As long as the thing has a warm setting that works, it's an easy one. Yard sales, 2nd hand stores, assorted sales, more readily available than heated pet waterers, and cheaper, too. I got 2 brand new for the same price as a low end heated pet water dish.

No Muss, No Fuss

I think we have this down!
The Cluckle Hut_20211027_180746.jpg

Back
Top Bottom