A couple of firsts for me today.
In the small hours of the morning the camera set to monitor for predators when they climb on the Chicken Palace sent an alert. Scary!

And now this afternoon we had high winds and hail. I actually got trapped by it in the Chicken Palace as the hail was really nasty. I sat and chatted to Minnie. But where was Maggie? Out in her pasture run eating the hail stones. She was picking them up like they were scratch grains.
:idunno
She is a strange one that chicken!
:lau
But it has sharp pointy teeth. 😆

Mary had a check up last weekend and as the vet picked her up, he said "Far out, she weighs a tonne!" So, I'm thinking letting her sit through her last brooding session (which ended a month ago, roughly) did very little harm, if any.

I do need to start weighing the hens regularly and tracking their weight. The data would be helpful if ever they get sick.
Speaking of which, Minnie has put on 10 ounces in the last 3 weeks since I last weighed her. She was 3 pounds and 3 ounces and now is 3 pounds and 13 ounces, That is an increase of 25% of her body weight!!
She has really been chowing down. :wee
She didn't love being removed from her solo roost to be weighed, and let me know by having copious diarrhea down my shirt :sick
So I guess she isn't quite back to rights but I am feeling good that she can come off my daily worry list.
I think on Monday I will leave a message for the vet on her progress. She said to let her know, but I don't know if that is just social politeness or she really wanted to know!

Last edited:
Speaking of which, Minnie has put on 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks since I last weighed her. She was 3 pounds and 3 ounces and now is 3 pounds and 10 ounces, That is an increase of 25% of her body weight!!
She didn't love being removed from her solo roost to be weighed, and let me know by having copious diarrhea down my shirt :sick
So I guess she isn't quite back to rights but I am feeling good that she can come off my daily worry list.
I think on Monday I will leave a message for the vet on her progress. She said to let her know, but I don't know if that is just social politeness or she really wanted to know!
You said she put on 10 lbs (I think you meant ounces):confused:

Speaking of which, Minnie has put on 10 ounces in the last 3 weeks since I last weighed her. She was 3 pounds and 3 ounces and now is 3 pounds and 10 ounces, That is an increase of 25% of her body weight!!
That's great news!!! I'm so happy for you!

Back
Top Bottom