Beautiful!
I love these silkies but those photos of Branch straight-on look like a chicken in a gorilla suit! :D
If there is one thing about Branch, he is full of attitude in a good way. He thinks he's all that and struts his stuff even if he is a little guy. Thanks to this comment, and I see it, when he's showing off I'm now going to have the image of king kong in my head.

If there is one thing about Branch, he is full of attitude in a good way. He thinks he's all that and struts his stuff even if he is a little guy. Thanks to this comment, and I see it, when he's showing off I'm now going to have the image of king kong in my head.
King Kong = Jaffar. He just won’t leave me alone tonight. You have your roo, and I have mine too! Jaffar is inside with me tonight. 404926AC-B002-477E-8DFE-46F7FB5D69A6.jpeg

King Kong = Jaffar. He just won’t leave me alone tonight. You have your roo, and I have mine too! Jaffar is inside with me tonight. View attachment 2919935
I love Jaffar. How is Arizona doing is she still setting? I admit, I'm really looking forward to some little Jaffar's running around. He's such a good boy and he deserves to be a daddy.

Christmas Lights and a Return Visitor

I spent Sunday hanging the outdoor Christmas lights. That included decorating the coop again. It came out well. Aurora decided to pose with the Christmas decoration for which she was clearly their model chicken.

20211205_233208.jpg

Here is the coop lit up at dusk.

20211205_171316.jpg

Throughout the day as I was working on the lights I could hear the nearly continuous scree of the red tailed hawk. However they never got closer than this.

20211205_233257.jpg

Return Visit

I was touching up the paint on the letters of the coop today, as I need to do before every winter, and the ladies were fussing at me. It was like they wanted me to know they were there but it was not the full whiney let us out. I talked to them for a while and all of a sudden they went dead silent.

This one had returned.

No chickens this way.....
20211205_160108.jpg

No chickens that way.......
20211205_160104.jpg

I guess I'll go and try to kill that sparrow hiding in the trumpet vines.

I did not run it off. I wanted to see it hunt. After watching that video, there is no safe place in my yard other than the complex. Nowhere. The ability that hawk demonstrated dropping down through those vines is scary. Those trumpet vines are the tribes favorite hiding spot. The tribe thinks they are safe there.

They are wrong.

I love Jaffar. How is Arizona doing is she still setting? I admit, I'm really looking forward to some little Jaffar's running around. He's such a good boy and he deserves to be a daddy.
Arizona is still setting (I’m being careful that she gets fed) Jaffar and me are just hanging out with each other tonight. I know that I loved my rooster BEN , and BLU, but Jaffar amazes me every day. I would love to find the highest point on the planet, stand there and scream at the top of my lungs “Jaffar is king of the world”!! He’s a good rooster :oops:

I spent Sunday hanging the outdoor Christmas lights. That included decorating the coop again. It came out well. Aurora decided to pose with the Christmas decoration for which she was clearly their model chicken.

View attachment 2919926

View attachment 2919923

Throughout the day as I was working on the lights I could hear the nearly continuous scree of the red tailed hawk. However they never got closer than this.

View attachment 2919927

Return Visit

I was touching up the paint on the letters of the coop today, as I need to do before every winter, and the ladies were fussing at me. It was like they wanted me to know they were there but it was not the full whiney let us out. I talked to them for a while and all of a sudden they went dead silent.

This one had returned.

View attachment 2919924

View attachment 2919925

I did not run it off. I wanted to see it hunt. After watching that video, there is no safe place in my yard other than the complex. Nowhere. The ability that hawk demonstrated dropping down through those vines is scary. Those trumpet vines are the tribes favorite hiding spot. The tribe thinks they are safe there.

They are wrong.
This is such valuable knowledge Bob.

View attachment 2919926

View attachment 2919923

View attachment 2919927

Return Visit

This one had returned.

View attachment 2919924

View attachment 2919925

They are wrong.
Terrifying.

Sylvie is Gone

She out free ranging and I turned my back to do something and a hawk killed her. It was over when I heard it.

I'm telling everyone this so you know. I do not want to hear that it was for the best, or that I should have done X, or anything else. If you respond in that way I will block you. I am beyond devasted and I just don't want to hear I told you so or anything that you think is constructive. Frankly right now I'm ready to give up the chickens all together.

I don't know when I'll be back to the thread. It could be tomorrow, it could be a week.

Oh Bob. I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been away for a while and didn't know. All the love and hugs to you and Rose. You've been having an really unfair run of really bad luck.

:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hit:hit:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom