The biggest problem is that there is no way to safely discharge a firearm where I live. I could not kill it if I wanted to do so. Perhaps trap it but killing it is not really practical.

The other condition of the permit is you have to demonstrate how you are going to prevent another one from setting up residence and attacking your flock again. How do I do that? 🤷‍♂️

Sarcasm...
Put out something tasty with super glue on it. I hate what they have done too you

Ya, same here, all of the above birds I mentioned are very protected,
the best I can do is run out the door yelling at them never am as fast ae they are, they out maneuver me , they can hear me from the kitchen telling the dogs- !"GO, chickchick! ! Ziva Go! and Ziva dog flies out the screen door barking up a storm, she makes a run for the coop area and Tony Boy follows--- and off they fly , most likely watching us from the top of a tree,
We have a Raptor rescue here,, I wonder if there is someone there that is licensed to trap/catch them and cart them off to Hawk happy land somewhere in the forest??
Dogs are an interesting thought.

I spoke with the game commission. They informed me that I may not harm it in any way. They do not trap and relocate them. They suggested the following:
  • Get a rooster. (If only)
  • Get a Turkey or a Goose. They will beat up a Coopers Hawk and are apparently very fond of chickens. Who knew?
  • Hang shiny metal disks, CDs
  • Netting
  • Keep them in an enclosed space with a covered run. ✔
They gave me the phone number for the USDA saying they might have some other ideas.

It's starting to feel like the nerf gun is going to be my best tool.
Some interesting ideas in that mix! I'm surprised they didn't mention a flock dog.

I'm back from visiting family for a long weekend! Hope I didn't miss too much while traveling...will try to catch up on later this week.
In the meantime, a through and through mug shot for Monday.View attachment 2920177
Wow! She is a LOT taller than I thought! :gig

I really would read the conditions for getting a permit to get rid of it - they include threats to livestock and property.
I think you might qualify.
To me what makes this one a notable threat is that it is not afraid of being around people so you have no ability to 'scare it away'.
The one trouble I saw with that was the 'must use a shotgun.' I don't know about where @BY Bob lives, but around here it is illegal to discharge any firearm within 500 ft (?yards?) of a house...here he would have to get written permission of everyone who lived that close :( Hoping firearm laws regarding this are more lax where he is so it can be done......

Did you actually measure her for scale?
Shra!!

IMG_2021-12-06-17-31-44-567~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom