Last year my sister became licensed falconer. On December 8th she caught a juvenile red tailed hawk. She and her kids have been training it ever since, mostly it goes after the rabbits that eat the garden, but I guess it helps keep other birds away too. They also have a large flock of chickens.
Now that is a solution I hadn’t thought of!

It took her a year to certify. I thought she was crazy at first but Ocho has grown up beautifully and will have been with them a year in just a couple of days. Those photos were just last week, the kids are holding her training post.
I have so many questions!

The big one is, have they noticed any difference in the number of visits from feral hawks?

I have so many questions!

The big one is, have they noticed any difference in the number of visits from feral hawks?
Not sure, I will ask her :)
They have plenty of predators where they live, it is pretty rural. My mother lost an entire flock? of ducks to something one night, all their throats appeared slit, very little eaten, just killed. They were in a 6' high fenced area. It was devastating, she really loved those birds. No sign of what did it. They have 11 acres and some of the only wooded area in miles of farmland.

In case anyone was curious why she was pulled in...View attachment 2920565

Without a permit! :th
I go away for a long weekend and the family misbehaves.

Bob, as you can see, kiddo has tried his hand at photoshop after being inspired by yours 😂
That is excellent work. 😆 I just love it!

If they've been buttered up with eggs occassionally and/or know about the reasons for it, they may assist with fog horns of their own.
Gosh! Isnt this true? having a rooster or annoying geese/ducks or whatever, always butter them up with eggs! 🤣 (we did this with our rooster, worked great)

Like magpies! Right Aussies!
SHRA tax

Is that cat food? C'mon Patsy, it's snack time!
20160618_153422.jpg

Last year my sister became licensed falconer. On December 8th she caught a juvenile red tailed hawk. She and her kids have been training it ever since, mostly it goes after the rabbits that eat the garden, but I guess it helps keep other birds away too. They also have a large flock of chickens.
That's amazing! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom