These chickens clearly need a calendar so they know the proper time of year to do these things.
Minnie is beginning to look rather smug as she is mainly over her molt and her comb is reddening up and I caught her snacking on the oyster shell this morning. No Minnie, November isn't prime laying time. Have a bit more of a rest please!
I thought maybe a hat would help as well. Here is a legbar modeling one.

IMG_0334.jpg

You are fast my friend. :goodpost:

I suggest observation with the cameras and I like the heating pad idea. Sansa still looks awful and I'm so glad I bought the brinsea. It is working great heating one end of the coop. Hattie really likes it. 😆

The way your roosts are RC would have to mount it on a wall next to the roost. The heating pad is probably a better idea.

For me I need Sansa to grow feathers and she does not look any better. I am getting very concerned for her and I'm very anxious to hear from the vet.

View attachment 2922138
Oh, gosh, that is how Sansa is looking right now? It appears she still has enough feathering to keep warm, but maybe not if she doesn’t have her full set to work with?

I suggest observation with the cameras and I like the heating pad idea. Sansa still looks awful and I'm so glad I bought the brinsea. It is working great heating one end of the coop. Hattie really likes it. 😆

The way your roosts are RC would have to mount it on a wall next to the roost. The heating pad is probably a better idea.

For me I need Sansa to grow feathers and she does not look any better. I am getting very concerned for her and I'm very anxious to hear from the vet.

View attachment 2922138
I was thinking about her & Lilly...wondering if there was any improvement. :( Evidently not on the Sansa front. :(

How about with Lilly...are the meds helping her? I think you said there was a 1-2 week time for it to build up in her system...so I was hoping around now you would start to see an improvement with her.:fl:fl

I thought maybe a hat would help as well. Here is a legbar modeling one.

View attachment 2922141
Hmmmm, but that would be Minni...and I believe it is an ISA/Red Star type that Diana is....are there any that don't clash with the red heads???:gig(Besides, I think Diana would take umbrage at a Minni hat!):gig

I am having the same issue. I can’t believe my chickens are blowing their coats out now that it’s COLD outdoors. I live in a slightly warmer climate, but I have to tell you, it’s only slightly. It has gone down to 20 degrees a few mornings. 🥶😱
Is Blanche still missing? 😥

View attachment 2922138
This is a long time for Sansa. Your vet is on vacation?

You can see them shiver by watching the feathers, you can see them tremble, esp in the tail. I would try to avoid taking her away from her friends at night if possible. I guess first I would see how she behaves. I'd give her warming treats at night and extra protein in her food. I'd try to reduce the drafts she experiences at chicken height where she hangs out and roosts, daytime and night. I'd make warm spots she can go to: a coop warmer where she likes to rest during the day, and you could wrap a heating pad set on low covered with a towel on the roost where her spot is. Get a long one, and have it long-wise on the top of the roost. Probably everybody will want to sit on that! You can watch on the camera to see how that it goes. If she's able to snuggle against anyone for roosting and doesn't appear restless, all might be good.
Thank you for this. The Chicken Palace is very draft free and daytime hangout is usually on one of the perches in there.
She is behaving normally and actually was the only one who chose to go outside at dawn this morning. I changed feed to feather fixer which has more protein.
She and Maggie tend to snuggle up close to each other. Maggie is also molting but she has already gone through a lot of it and seems to be taking it slower.
I like the heating pad on roost idea and will see if I can figure how to make that work.

Back
Top Bottom