Say Again?

Does anyone know what my ladies are saying here? Maybe @featherhead007 could check with Jaffar for me.

It was single digits in temperatures when I took this so maybe they are saying something like.....

It's so cccccccoooooooolllllllllddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

@Ribh, @micstrachan, @MaryJanet, @Aussie-Chookmum, @ChicoryBlue, @LozzyR, @Chicken poppy
Sounds like they are purring, rosie used to do that when she lived in the garage and we would pet her to sleep.

The cozy coop can be mounted above. It works in any position
Good to know, my chicks really like it they snuggle up to it. I might get another one as the four of them are not able to all fit against it together anymore, can't believe how big they are now!! 13 weeks wow!

That would be hysterical. Little sleep masks. 😆

Your are correct about the naivete of course. I know they are feeling anxious by their behavior. I am also reflecting my feelings into all of this and I'm sad that their lives won't be the same. That makes me sad.

It is likely very good that they are hypervigilant now. It will keep them alive longer.
Yep innocence lost, all must grow up... Changes to how things are done. Guess I too am learning that.

@Bob, well I had some of my gang out on Mount Poopmore when Pangoo started aggressively growling, I told him hey kiddo it's just Blue Jays, but he was really GROWLING, the hens took to it running back to the barn, Blanche FLEW from the manure pile to the barn door - I was afraid she would land in the water trough 😲.

I looked up and there was a Red Tail Hawk flying around the barn! He saw that hawk way before I saw it and alerted the gang! I made my voice really urgent and hustled the rest and him back to the barn.

Once in the barn I praised him and made a fuss over him; he was such a good boy! Of course now I am really going to have to do that covered run I keep planning.
Can I just say this makes me love Pangoo so much? My girls OFTEN see threats before I do. I make for a really pathetic rooster.

ONG. Are you kidding me? This is one of the most ridiculously funny things I have seen in awhile.
What about this picture? :confused::gigTrue, this was a while ago. B88F1D56-1F7A-4B58-9F84-6CB875A95677.gif

@BY Bob I have so many memories and pictures of my Beetov-Hen, I have no idea where or how to start a tribute to her. You had your “Best hen ever” , My lady Beetov-Hen was mine. :idunno It’s gonna take some time to gather up all I need to say about her. (I know that you understand that) I never really knew, I was so attached to her, until she was gone.
F694F6EA-E0FB-4565-A510-5E9A4DD2C3E3.jpeg F0C91BA6-A8ED-4915-8966-27D2F3484F30.jpeg

Well, a lot really!
I have been struck by how chickens were revered and worshipped and were the pets of royalty rather than food for the people. There is at least one theory that the shape of a crown (as worn by kings and queens) is modelled on a rooster's comb with the points etc.
It was also interesting to read the research efforts to find the DNA of the Red Jungle Fowl because they interbreed with domesticated chickens so only in very remote areas were they possibly 'pure'.
I had not really appreciated how far man's association with chicken went back. The attached is a sketch of a chicken from Egypt dated 1300-1100 BC. It is in the British Museum apparently.
Right now I am in the middle of the whole question of man's migration to the new world and the evidence of the Pacific vs the Atlantic route with evidence from chicken bones.

View attachment 2962929
Unless I'm much mistaken, it appears the Egyptians believed chickens to poop rainbows. Even more evidence of how advanced they were!
:gig

Back
Top Bottom