You may be right. Or maybe hexagonal is normal. It’s the oblong one I was concerned about.

It turns out I’m the world’s worst photographer, as hardly any photos are super clear up close, but some pupils might be ever so slightly hexagonal. Here are a few pics of other hens’ eyes. Who knew one could obsess over chicken pupils so much!

Oops. Posted before photos. Here they are.

View attachment 2964577View attachment 2964578View attachment 2964579View attachment 2964580
I've noticed oblong pupils in Ivy but I thought it was due to the angle I was looking from.

Mostly it looks like yawning - they stick their head up and open their beaks and sometimes shake their head and neck a bit.
When Minnie had an impacted crop she got more extreme and in the night would be flinging her head around - almost like 'bashing your head against a brick wall' - presumably in an effort to clear her crop. But I have only seen that the one time and I knew she was blocked and was massaging her crop every morning with coconut oil to break it up.
Oh ok good to know!

So your gal isn't doing this anymore?

Oh ok good to know!

So your gal isn't doing this anymore?
No. Not since she cleared her crop with my help.
Well, I should qualify that, I think all chickens do it now and then. But the video @micstrachan posted of Flash, and what Minnie was doing is not normal.
I think the odd 'yawn' probably is normal.

Back
Top Bottom