Tegan is still broody and was really funny last week. She was bokking like she does when she’s off the nest but she was preening at the same time! :lol: Of course Madam didn’t allow me to take a video.
That would have been cool to see but alas we do need their permission at times. 😆

I understand and respect that. It may be right. But never say never. Keep an open mind. Who knows what life will bring.
You never know what the universe will present you with so my mind is never closed completely. I have learned though that what I would be happy with is not necessarily what seems to be right.

Tegan is still broody and was really funny last week. She was bokking like she does when she’s off the nest but she was preening at the same time! :lol: Of course Madam didn’t allow me to take a video.
As per Bob, we don't see enough pics of your amazingly lovely gals 🤗 (also I could use some photos of green grass and trees, -21C here and all snow covered).

My Princesses are confused about night and day.
It started with Dotty who several nights got up in the middle of the night (once at 2am, once as early as 10pm) and found her way to the nest boxes to lay an egg. Both times she spent a long time in the nest box but eventually, while still deep dark outside, emerged and went back up to roost.
Minnie has done the same thing a couple of times and once laid an egg right on top of Maggie who has taken to sleeping in the nest box and hasn't broken that habit yet.
Now they are all up and about in the dark. This morning at 5:30 or so (still a good 2 hours before dawn) they are all wandering around and going about their day.
This coop cam photo shows Maggie down at the feeder having breakfast and on the right you see Minnie's rear end with her tail fully fanned out as she seems to use it for balance going down the ladder in the dark.
There is no artificial light anywhere near them - we are only a week or so off of full moon so I guess there is more moonlight, although also lots of cloud cover as it is snowing heavily.
Has anyone else experienced chickens not behaving according to daylight? I know of Hattie and her midnight snacks and a few who lay eggs from the roost while asleep. But I have not heard of a fully active flock in deep dark!

2C591CCC-A4B6-415A-92C1-0BC09550B9CF.jpeg

It started with Dotty who several nights got up in the middle of the night (once at 2am, once as early as 10pm) and found her way to the nest boxes to lay an egg. Both times she spent a long time in the nest box but eventually, while still deep dark outside, emerged and went back up to roost.
Minnie has done the same thing a couple of times and once laid an egg right on top of Maggie who has taken to sleeping in the nest box and hasn't broken that habit yet.
Now they are all up and about in the dark. This morning at 5:30 or so (still a good 2 hours before dawn) they are all up and about.
This coop cam photo shows Maggie down at the feeder having breakfast and on the right you see Minnie's rear end with her tail fully fanned out as she seems to use it for balance going down the ladder in the dark.
There is no artificial light anywhere near them - we are only a week or so off of full moon so I guess there is more moonlight, although also lots of cloud cover as it is snowing heavily.
Has anyone else experienced chickens not behaving according to daylight? I know of Hatty and her midnight snacks and a few who lay eggs from the roost while asleep. But I have not heard of a fully active flock in deep dark!

View attachment 2966508
My only experience is Hattie and she does not re-roost if she gets down. This is really something. I've never heard of this behavior before.

My only experience is Hattie and she does not re-roost if she gets down. This is really something. I've never heard of this behavior before.
So weird. And I edited to get the spelling of Hattie correct - I looked at what I typed and it felt wrong but I couldn't figure it out - please don't tell her, I don't want to cause any upset!

Now they are all up and about in the dark. This morning at 5:30 or so (still a good 2 hours before dawn) they are all wandering around and going about their day.
Has anyone else experienced chickens not behaving according to daylight? I know of Hattie and her midnight snacks and a few who lay eggs from the roost while asleep. But I have not heard of a fully active flock in deep dark!

View attachment 2966508
Love that amazing fantail 💖

My silkie Fluffy decided to stay in the nest box last night, and likely laid the egg I found sometime during the night!!

My gang has been active also, the chickies where scattered about roosting everywhere... I guess full-ish moon could give enough light, it's still big enough and bright enough to cast shadows of the trees onto the snow! Good to know others have wanderers at night (ahh! A new song to do the wanderer!!)

Back
Top Bottom