Well, what I've been worried about finally happened. Thanks to Poppy, Chiquita escaped the pen. She was not super hard to catch, only took about 5 minutes but in that 5 minutes chaos ensued. Now the supposed reason Chiquita and her other 2 silkies were needing to be rehomed was because they were being bullied by larger flock members. I want to know what silkie her former owner was talking about, because it could not have been Chiquita. So what happened is once both girls ran out of the pen on me, I grabbed the rake and went in to rake out the poop. I then hear hens squabbling and run out expecting to see Chiquita being chased. Instead what do I see? Chiquita is on Raven's back pinning her to the ground as she's biting and shaking the back of her comb. Raven mind you who is no coward and joins Blueberry in causing trouble chasing other chickens. I run and grab Chiquita and poor Raven acts like she does not know what hit her and has a few drops of blood on the back of her comb. You know, I've been worried about introducing Chiquita to the bigger flock members thinking they might try to pick on her. Now, I'm worried about their safety around Chiquita. Silkies, they may be tiny but they sure are mighty.

Well, what I've been worried about finally happened. Thanks to Poppy, Chiquita escaped the pen. She was not super hard to catch, only took about 5 minutes but in that 5 minutes chaos ensued. Now the supposed reason Chiquita and her other 2 silkies were needing to be rehomed was because they were being bullied by larger flock members. I want to know what silkie her former owner was talking about, because it could not have been Chiquita. So what happened is once both girls ran out of the pen on me, I grabbed the rake and went in to rake out the poop. I then hear hens squabbling and run out expecting to see Chiquita being chased. Instead what do I see? Chiquita is on Raven's back pinning her to the ground as she's biting and shaking the back of her comb. Raven mind you who is no coward and joins Blueberry in causing trouble chasing other chickens. I run and grab Chiquita and poor Raven acts like she does not know what hit her and has a few drops of blood on the back of her comb. You know, I've been worried about introducing Chiquita to the bigger flock members thinking they might try to pick on her. Now, I'm worried about their safety around Chiquita. Silkies, they may be tiny but they sure are mighty.
Vicious!

It was. What I don't know is who started the fight though. In all honesty, Raven could have initiated the fight while I was cleaning out the coop. If she did start the fight, then I hope she learned her lesson for picking on other hens. I guess the plan now is as soon as it warms up just a little bit by the middle of next week I will allow Chiquita some supervised free range time. I now know I will definitely need to be in arms reach in case another fight breaks out.

Back
Top Bottom