Have a good day everyone
20220124_134604.jpg

Nope, me neither.

River is sick again. 😭 I’m still trying to clear the gunk in her throat, but the last two days she has been very subdued, napping standing up and not interested in any food that wasn’t oats. I’m going to get some baby bird food into her tonight for some nutrients, but maybe she’s got another infection. That’s the reason we’re getting frizzle bantams; if she dies and I lose another in quick succession, I’ll have one left on her own and I’ve had a lonely hen before.

Nope, me neither.

River is sick again. 😭 I’m still trying to clear the gunk in her throat, but the last two days she has been very subdued, napping standing up and not interested in any food that wasn’t oats. I’m going to get some baby bird food into her tonight for some nutrients, but maybe she’s got another infection. That’s the reason we’re getting frizzle bantams; if she dies and I lose another in quick succession, I’ll have one left on her own and I’ve had a lonely hen before.
Sorry Loz. Good luck with her. I hope the nutrients help her recuperate some strength.

I'm thinking of how chickens feel stress when separated from the flock and I'm wondering if providing warmth in the palace might be a better option. Is there something you could plug in?
Yes, that worries me too - but they are all roosting 'solo' so I think if I move her after dark it will be OK.
I have one of those oil-filled radiators but it isn't designed to heat a full room let alone one with masses of ventilation. I might plug it in for the others - but as luck would have it Dotty roosts as far away from a flat surface as it is possible to get, so while it might help the others (who probably don't need it as they are fully deathered), I don't think it will help Dotty.
It is a really unusual situation - it almost never gets this cold - for my county we are breaking records - and she is half naked which is really badly timed of her.

Yes, that worries me too - but they are all roosting 'solo' so I think if I move her after dark it will be OK.
I have one of those oil-filled radiators but it isn't designed to heat a full room let alone one with masses of ventilation. I might plug it in for the others - but as luck would have it Dotty roosts as far away from a flat surface as it is possible to get, so while it might help the others (who probably don't need it as they are fully deathered), I don't think it will help Dotty.
It is a really unusual situation - it almost never gets this cold - for my county we are breaking records - and she is half naked which is really badly timed of her.
Well, she'll have lovely feathers in Spring which is when she'd expect to have chicks.

Given all those factors, I think you're right to bring her in.

Nope, me neither.

Oh dear. I hope she improves Lozzy. :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom