Yep then she ended up going into the higher nest box everyone used to use and laid her precious bundle 🐔

I gave the egg to the silkies to keep warm while everyone finished... Otherwise it's so cold the eggs freeze
Those silkies are pretty useful then. 😆

Yep, that’s how I make new friends. I peck them on the head, and if they put up with it, then they are friends! :th
You may be closer than you think to how Phyllis thinks about it. With Aurora in mind, she may also add 'if they don't try to kill me then we are friends'

Poor raggedy Dotty is getting her fair share of cabbage.
I am heading out to make her a mini roost to use inside the dog crate.
I hope she doesn’t hate me too much. It is for her benefit.
2DE467A3-B6E0-4C07-9AE1-45F01F617A17.jpeg

Is she a cream legbar?
She is - though she is so ragged right now you can barely tell she is a chicken. Why, oh why, oh why does she start molting in January? Probably the same reason she gets up at 2am to lay an egg in the nest box in the dark. I need to buy her a watch and a calendar!

She is - though she is so ragged right now you can barely tell she is a chicken. Why, oh why, oh why does she start molting in January? Probably the same reason she gets up at 2am to lay an egg in the nest box in the dark. I need to buy her a watch and a calendar!
Oh wow! My Fluffy lays early in the morning too, I guess it just depends on when they 1st start laying.

I know! I have a hen molting right now, but it’s not very noticeable. Maybe all of mine are, but I can’t see it. The hen in my profile pic just has her tail feathers left, and JUST A BIT of her neck feathers.

Is there anything wrong with her?
I don't think so. It is just that she is half naked and the temperatures will be going down to 5F and I think that is too cold for a naked chicken.
Her feathered friends all puff themselves up to something like twice their normal size and bury their heads in under their feathers - but she can't puff herself up and has nowhere to bury her head.
A few posts back you may have seen that I decided to bring her into the garage whenever the temperatures drop into single digits - based on some back and forth with our thread host, Bob, I have adjusted that to whenever the temperature falls below the teens. So starting tomorrow night she will need to come inside for a few nights.

Back
Top Bottom