I don't think so. It is just that she is half naked and the temperatures will be going down to 5F and I think that is too cold for a naked chicken.
Her feathered friends all puff themselves up to something like twice their normal size and bury their heads in under their feathers - but she can't puff herself up and has nowhere to bury her head.
A few posts back you may have seen that I decided to bring her into the garage whenever the temperatures drop into single digits - based on some back and forth with our thread host, Bob, I have adjusted that to whenever the temperature falls below the teens. So starting tomorrow night she will need to come inside for a few nights.
Garage is okay, but just don’t give her the car keys 🔑

Gosh I hope not. There are plenty of easier roosts to use.
Phyllis may find high perches are a great way to deal with the other hens when she's hanging with them during the day. Safe but in proximity. Phyllis on the run door reminded me of a recent video with her perching up high in the Fluffy B. coop during the day too.

A Fluffy Butt Acres Welcome

Well it seems Phyllis has learned from Aurora. 😔

This morning before daylight Betty got some welcome pecks on the roost.

Then Phyllis gave her the true FBA welcome. Betty went to eat and Phyllis was not having that.

There has been a lot of chasing around the big run. Right now Betty is in the coop and Phyllis is in the run.

I am observing but I do have to work today. I hope they can settle in over time without anyone getting hurt.
While it can be nerve-wracking, they did just meet. Give Phyllis a week to accept her, and I am sure they will at least be cordial (chicken cordial, that is, if not friendly) Remember, Phyllis did 'warm up' to the girls, and they were younger, so of course Phyllis would put them in their place!

Can you add a second feeder...maybe the one you attached the rabbit bottle clamp to...so that there is a second feeder far enough away that they can both eat at the same time?

That said, other than the first peck/attack, the rest of the ruckus seemed to be Betty wanting to avoid Phyllis, but not sure where to go...just darting behind her and squawking.

Deep breath, 🧘‍♂️patience, and time.🕰️ ..all will be well in the🪶 feather 🪶kingdom!❤️❤️❤️

Nope, me neither.

River is sick again. 😭 I’m still trying to clear the gunk in her throat, but the last two days she has been very subdued, napping standing up and not interested in any food that wasn’t oats. I’m going to get some baby bird food into her tonight for some nutrients, but maybe she’s got another infection. That’s the reason we’re getting frizzle bantams; if she dies and I lose another in quick succession, I’ll have one left on her own and I’ve had a lonely hen before.
Good luck with River Loz :fl :hugs

Ok. How about this. Those with funny hairdos on one side those with visible combs on the other side.
Well @featherhead007 in the sense of regular versus irregular troops @BY Bob was correct, Polish being definitely the irregular troops! Plus Betty is a Frizzle, nobody else remotely like that in the tribe.

Good grief they made short work of that cabbage! Normally a whole cabbage lasts 3-4 days.
I think in the winter they are missing green stuff. They even ate a bit of left over broccoli which normally they despise.
F14D7AC0-285C-46EA-9022-69B3D2114083.jpeg

What good are these feathered pets, when they don’t want to play with me today? :( (I guess I’m not chicken enough for them) and the rooster is getting all the attention. Okay I’m done complaining!:smack
Try clucking like a hen, then your roo might pay more attention to you!

All mine wants to do these days is attack me, we just had a brawl, man alive! He hit my knee and it hurt! Then he attacked my hand then when I was walking he again attacked. I grabbed what I could, ended up being his tail, and hung on for dear life - I was going to win at least one time!

Once he stopped trying to escape I pulled the rooster tactic of holding him down until he said Uncle...

We now have an uneasy truce...

I hate to get rid of a nice looking bird but I have too many kids around here and he is a big bird he could easily hurt a small child, heck he hurt little old me!

Back
Top Bottom