Rocks-Anne really stuck close to me today. I would sit outside, and she’d come across the yard, stare right up at me, scratch the ground and lightly peck my arm or leg “come on daddy, pick me up already!” So I did, FOUR times today. I even brought her into the house for a quick nap. (1 hour).
She’s a good hen. She has befriended Hen-Rietta and stays close to her (she’s the late Beetov-Hens sister. My other Brown Leghorn from the same hatch)
View attachment 2975103
Wonderful ladies! Leghorns are very loyal. 🥰

Yes, I think this is looking very good, and Betty is showing good determination and is slowly seducing Phyllis into letting her be a roosting and sleeping companion. Phyllis is actually accommodating her rather quickly, wouldn't you say? She's not setting any really hard lines.
Thinking about a chickens' prime directive of safety and not just pecking order, or that pecking order is also a function of safety? Sleeping, the most vulnerable time for a chicken, would be the final life area Phyllis or any chicken might feel in her gut that she has to make at least a little effort against potential danger? It's getting dark, she is seeing less and less well, a disturbance to the settled order of things has been going on, and this stranger she just met is hanging about and even creeping up on her. It's a lot to get used to!
Very well said. Sleeping has to be when they feel the most vulnerable. If they sleep together I feel that eventually they will start hanging out together in some fashion. Luckily they have a lot of room to roam during the day until they are comfortable around each other. 🤞🤞

It is nice to know that I am able to convey my feelings through these posts. I am pleased and more than a little surprised that everyone wants to take this journey with me. The highs and the lows. I am surprised that you avoided that portion of the story, maybe a little pleased, and perhaps a little sad that I created something you wished to avoid.

More than anything, I'm grateful that you told me. It helps to give meaning to this journey that I'm trying to share with you all.
I could handle it now I think. I remember the times as needing to not add more stress if I could help it and stopping was the best solution there. Not your fault in any way. Just life, and how it happens. You are a wonderful story-teller, and I love stories!

I might have the timeline all off, but I was planning to start a little flock as a newbie and getting all OCD about it, then caring for the Buckeyes while learning and still all OCD, the pandemic had begun and become full-on raging and life brought big changes. My uncle died from Covid in 2020, all isolated in a nursing home, my aunt there too in the assisted living side but they kept them apart until he was at death's door. Suited her up like a spaceman and he had dementia so I doubt he recognized her like that. It was horrible for her and for my cousins who couldn't figure out a way to even comfort their mother beyond phone calls because they weren't allowed to see or touch her either, and this made her fail even more. She died this last year. Back in 2020 one of his son's, my cousin died also (complications of cancer/chemo but could have been Covid-related, a heart attack), then another cousin (different family) died of Covid, then the uncle, father of that cousin, died of Covid too. I had loss of both music and day gig work, and I was still dealing with my mother's estate and belongings from her death in 2018. Two other people I knew more tangentially died from Covid. Not that different from so many people's experience, but a lot of loss.

I have better internet now than I did then, here's some pullet pics!
I think this first pic is Butters, I remember she liked to perch there. August 2020.
IMG_20200803_180321424.jpg

IMG_20200803_173744540.jpg

I could handle it now I think. I remember the times as needing to not add more stress if I could help it and stopping was the best solution there. Not your fault in any way. Just life, and how it happens. You are a wonderful story-teller, and I love stories!

I might have the timeline all off, but I was planning to start a little flock as a newbie and getting all OCD about it, then caring for the Buckeyes while learning and still all OCD, the pandemic had begun and become full-on raging and life brought big changes. My uncle died from Covid in 2020, all isolated in a nursing home, my aunt there too in the assisted living side but they kept them apart until he was at death's door. Suited her up like a spaceman and he had dementia so I doubt he recognized her like that. It was horrible for her and for my cousins who couldn't figure out a way to even comfort their mother beyond phone calls because they weren't allowed to see or touch her either, and this made her fail even more. She died this last year. Back in 2020 one of his son's, my cousin died also (complications of cancer/chemo but could have been Covid-related, a heart attack), then another cousin (different family) died of Covid, then the uncle, father of that cousin, died of Covid too. I had loss of both music and day gig work, and I was still dealing with my mother's estate and belongings from her death in 2018. Two other people I knew more tangentially died from Covid. Not that different from so many people's experience, but a lot of loss.

I think this first pic is Butters, I remember she liked to perch there. August 2020.
View attachment 2975178

View attachment 2975180
Oh my. That is a lot to handle. :hugs
I am so glad you stuck with us. I mentioned once to Bob that I felt this thread had helped a lot of us stay sane during the worst of it all.
:hugs :hugs

View attachment 2975178

View attachment 2975180
First I wish there was a way I could extend my condolences for all that COVID took from you and your family. I can't imagine the sense of impotence and loss. So tragic. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Then you share these pictures of the pullets. Such little darlings. Chickens can bring such joy. Look at those darlings. 🥰🥰🥰

Yes, I think that is probably the answer. I will let her keep going where she wants until it gets warm and then try again. I really don't like her sitting where she poops!
Ya I hear you, my 15 week old cockerel silkie X has been sleeping in my middle nest box. I let him because I think he is chilly. But it means I have to clean that box every morning!! Oh well it's only takes a few seconds the brat!

Rocks-Anne really stuck close to me today. I would sit outside, and she’d come across the yard, stare right up at me, scratch the ground and lightly peck my arm or leg “come on daddy, pick me up already!” So I did, FOUR times today. I even brought her into the house for a quick nap. (1 hour).
She’s a good hen. She has befriended Hen-Rietta and stays close to her (she’s the late Beetov-Hens sister. My other Brown Leghorn from the same hatch)
View attachment 2975103
Awwww she thinks your her flock mate for sure. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom