20220427_163101.jpg
Buddy

Yay, I got pics of their cute, just starting tails! (of course, I had to remove them from the brooder in order to do this...awe shucks, had to pick them up and cuddle! 🥰)
View attachment 3081931View attachment 3081932View attachment 3081935View attachment 3081937

And, yes, once I was done taking pictures of these two, I held them again. And, of course, they climbed mommy as usual. However, this time they didn't stop at the shoulders. One was so proud of her conquest of 'Mount Mommy" that she christened it!:sick

Buddy is adorable, what breed is he. I see he has feathered legs so I already love him.
I am not sure of his breed because he came from an egg from a friend's hen that I haven't seen yet. He was the only egg that hatched from that batch. I'll try to get a pic of his mama when my wife goes there Saturday to give sister A. a ride to church.

I have my problems but I live with them the best I possibly can. This week has been very painful and even more difficult with my Agatha. There's a person I know in life that behaves as if I am lying about my pain she reminds me of this cold system at times . She even suggested I go to a hospice the other day. That really hurt more than my pain.

I like too say things like this makes me feel differently but In reality I have also sort of person too see the other side of people's emotions feelings and fears as well as have this compassionate for animal's. I have to admit I am different from the norm be it good or a bad thing :)

Please forgive my self absorbed
reply :oops:
I don't think it's self absorbed...

Pain can be all encompassing, and interfere with sleeping, eating, generally being content... It then become worse and so on so forth.

One of the things I have interest in is pain control and living with pain with my horses who are elderly and myslf too (I have serious restless leg syndrome myself which keeps me awake at night, and the meds are just evil...).

With my old mare I try to ensure I give her pain meds immediately to keep her happy, but not to keep her on them too long to make her ill other ways.

A real tough thing to do, and I know how hard it is to ensure pain is controlled - meds come with their own challenges ☹️

So no I don't think it's selfish or self absorbed.

Oh and if anyone has any info on pain meds for poultry I would be very interested as my old hen is 6 now and I have noted a few times her being lame and stiff.

Pain can be all encompassing, and interfere with sleeping, eating, generally being content... It then become worse and so on so forth.

One of the things I have interest in is pain control and living with pain with my horses who are elderly and myslf too (I have serious restless leg syndrome myself which keeps me awake at night, and the meds are just evil...).

With my old mare I try to ensure I give her pain meds immediately to keep her happy, but not to keep her on them too long to make her ill other ways.

A real tough thing to do, and I know how hard it is to ensure pain is controlled - meds come with their own challenges ☹️

Oh and if anyone has any info on pain meds for poultry I would be very interested as my old hen is 6 now and I have noted a few times her being lame and stiff.
Wow, I don’t know what to say. I have pain in my back sometimes, but I work through it. My pain threshold is quite high. Even the doctors are amazed at my tolerance for pain. I don’t take any pain medication except for Tylenol, and tums if I really need to. I’m sorry people have to hurt so much sometimes.
(Tax paid later)

Baby aspirin I believe is helpful, meloxicam is certainly, but that is IMO a real heavy hitter. My friend’s mink attack victim, when I helped bandage her the first time, was panicking and in a really bad way (he doesn’t handle them at all and the removal for treatment was… just bad, all around) I dosed her with a half dose and she calmed and relaxed Immediately and I was able to close up the wound (though the halfa**ed bandaging job didn’t keep it that way) I think it’s basically a Chicken opiate.

Part of what makes the situation with grandma even more difficult then it already is is that even before the stroke and dementia she was already dealing with mental health issues. She was the oldest of 11 children, and had to help raise them and had a abusive father. I was fortunate to have never met the man as he died a few years before I was born. The stories she's told of him, that have been backed up my great granny and her siblings would send chills down my spine. She's held onto that all her life, tried for many years to get her to go to therapy or try medication for the depression. She flat out refuses, she's not crazy and she is not taking medication for crazy people. She is a hoarder, has been for years, we try to help clean it up and if you throw away so much as the plastic rings from pop or gatoraid bottles she's in tears saying we are throwing away everything she owns. She is also a compulsive liar and a very controlling person. We are having huge huge issues with Rosie. I give her too much freedom, I'm going to get her kidnapped because I let her ride the horse by herself, she should not be allowed outside to play with her friends without me being right there and more. She has burned bridges with several of her brothers and sisters and they refuse to visit, even though everyone knows they are more then welcome to come here. We have thought about taking her down to her house to check on things, but, if we do there is a huge chance that she will get inside and refuse to leave. We finally yesterday had the first home health rehab visit. It is through them, that we can be referred to potential options for outside help. But, a lot of the programs have to have her permission where her insurance has to cover it. If she thinks she has to spend so much as 1 dollar on things she is "not being taken advantage of" and will not even consider it. Mom is her only child and she swore if she was able grandma would never go into a nursing home. We are trying, but every day that option is looking like it might be the only solution.
I am surprised that given her medical situation her daughter (your mum) would not be given power of attorney and make all future decisions...?

Has your mum investigated this channel? And yes I agree if you were to bring her to her home she would likely refuse to leave so best to not go down that road, for now.

Meanwhile I am glad you can possibly access some programmes.

Baby aspirin I believe is helpful, meloxicam is certainly, but that is IMO a real heavy hitter. My friend’s mink attack victim, when I helped bandage her the first time, was panicking and in a really bad way (he doesn’t handle them at all and the removal for treatment was… just bad, all around) I dosed her with a half dose and she calmed and relaxed Immediately and I was able to close up the wound (though the halfa**ed bandaging job didn’t keep it that way) I think it’s basically a Chicken opiate.
@Ponypoor Ibuprofen is OK for chickens and works like meloxicam.
Shad and I exchanged messages over on his thread about this recently. Here are the posts:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/post-25552762

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/post-25552796

And separately I noticed this also about ibuprofen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ibuprofen-for-controlling-pain-in-poultry.1250629/

Back
Top Bottom