These two are really getting on well
20220516_165613.jpg

Well that was an unmitigated disaster.
:barnie
The best that can be said is that I learned some stuff.
One thing I learned is that the Hooligans are not very smart and definitely less smart than the Roadrunners were at the same age. Only Lulu could be said to have some brains.
The other thing I learned is that Bernadette is not able to go down ramps. She can't control her left foot so it slides down and she ends up doing the splits.
Both Bernadette and Bella are 'spatially challenged' (unlike Lulu who seems gifted in that department), so they will throw themselves at the wire directly where they are standing rather than finding the opening 6" to the left.
Nothing went as planned. I didn't move them after dark because both Bella and Bernadette were already out on the Chicken Palace floor. Bella managed to fly up back to their observation deck but Bernadette cannot get enough of a push off to do that so she was in a tizzy because she couldn't get back home. Of course it never crossed her mind to use the ramps up.
So I ushered Bernadette into the new special needs ground level area and she was quite content. I grabbed Bella and Lulu and put them in there as well. For a while it was all going swimmingly - they found the food and drink and all was good though Bernadette was tired from running around.
But then Lulu led them up the ramps back to their old home. Which is I guess fine except that those Hooligans have to get themselves out of there - it is not big enough for grown chickens, and as Bernadette gains body weight she will find it harder and harder to get up there.
I suppose I should close off their home but I am too much of a softy - they cry so pitiously.
Give it time, my silkies were dumb as stumps, I had to show everything! The others figured out things much faster.

Bernie will also figure things out, and yes they do cry pitiously 🤗

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
I am actually not too afraid Bernadette will hurt herself and I do believe she will only learn to adapt if she goes out in the world and tries to do things. I am impressed by how much she is able to do and has already learned to do.
I am a little afraid that she won't be able to get away fast enough if one of the big chickens attacks her and that she needs to be able to find her way back to the safe places where the big ones can't reach her. Both Bella and Lulu can fly up to their penthouse. Bernadette just cannot leap up and however much she flaps she can't get above 18" (a half a meter).
I believe that Bella and Lulu are not going out and exploring the coop because Bernadette cannot physically do so and so they stay with her. Now they have access at ground level so I am hoping that Bernadette will be able to explore and the others will go with her.
But the signs are not encouraging. They have settled into their ground floor apartment and are spending their time cuddled together in a cardboard box just a few steps from a doorway to the wider coop world. They are alert but they prefer to watch everything from the comfort of the cardboard box!
They behave a bit like a cult - they have everything they need from each other and no need to enter into the outside world.
I have blocked off access to the penthouse because all of a sudden this morning the lovely Minnie has become very ill. I thought I felt a stuck egg but then it wasn't there so I am not certain. So Minnie has moved into the penthouse (hospital ward) and the Hooligans are confined to their ground floor apartment with access to the whole of the Chicken Palace if they would just get off their butts and explore!

Here they are cuddled in their ground floor apartment all tangled together in the cardboard box they love. They go out and eat and drink and then come back and spend the day together in the box.
View attachment 3110450

And here is Minnie who is really the picture of misery and who I fear I may lose. She is not moving and as you can see is very miserable. She looks just like Elizabeth before she died. Same thing - yesterday she was fine. This morning definitely not fine.
:(

View attachment 3110446View attachment 3110448
She looks unwell indeed, but like @Marie2020 I have seen several of my hens stay like this for days before getting better. I hope it's only a stuck egg that will find his way out. Is she showing any other specific symptoms ?

When I suspect eggbound without being sure I don't give warm baths anymore, because I fell all the handling can cause some stress but I put a hot water bag next to the hen.

As for the hooligans I understand your concern better. I suppose you're going to have to kick their butts 😬 but I'm pretty sure they'll do fine. If you're too concerned by an attack on Bernadette then it would be best to get them to mix with the big girls at first when you're there, just in case she really needs an emergency rescue ?

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
I am actually not too afraid Bernadette will hurt herself and I do believe she will only learn to adapt if she goes out in the world and tries to do things. I am impressed by how much she is able to do and has already learned to do.
I am a little afraid that she won't be able to get away fast enough if one of the big chickens attacks her and that she needs to be able to find her way back to the safe places where the big ones can't reach her. Both Bella and Lulu can fly up to their penthouse. Bernadette just cannot leap up and however much she flaps she can't get above 18" (a half a meter).
I believe that Bella and Lulu are not going out and exploring the coop because Bernadette cannot physically do so and so they stay with her. Now they have access at ground level so I am hoping that Bernadette will be able to explore and the others will go with her.
But the signs are not encouraging. They have settled into their ground floor apartment and are spending their time cuddled together in a cardboard box just a few steps from a doorway to the wider coop world. They are alert but they prefer to watch everything from the comfort of the cardboard box!
They behave a bit like a cult - they have everything they need from each other and no need to enter into the outside world.
I have blocked off access to the penthouse because all of a sudden this morning the lovely Minnie has become very ill. I thought I felt a stuck egg but then it wasn't there so I am not certain. So Minnie has moved into the penthouse (hospital ward) and the Hooligans are confined to their ground floor apartment with access to the whole of the Chicken Palace if they would just get off their butts and explore!

Here they are cuddled in their ground floor apartment all tangled together in the cardboard box they love. They go out and eat and drink and then come back and spend the day together in the box.
View attachment 3110450

And here is Minnie who is really the picture of misery and who I fear I may lose. She is not moving and as you can see is very miserable. She looks just like Elizabeth before she died. Same thing - yesterday she was fine. This morning definitely not fine.
:(

View attachment 3110446View attachment 3110448
Poor Minnie, can you consult with a vet or have any idea What might be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom