Sure, if you have the time ☺️
Bob went to Italy for a couple of weeks for his daughter's wedding. Beautiful pics 🥰 . Lilly died while he was gone :(. Someone (Phyllis) just turned up broody. WhoDat just turned back up. She and I have both been dealing with the crazy of senior year of high school (so has micstrachan, who has been recovering from covid). Rebecca has her grandmother with her: stroke with alzheimers/dementia kinda stuff. Chicks have been wonderful therapy, but trying days. One of her girls went broody in her living room. RoyalChick, bgmathteach, Kris and myself all have chicks in various ages in addition to Rebecca's. Several new people/lurkers have started talking. Marie, RC both have adults struggling a bit health wise and a working on figuring out the issues. Featherhead and Ponypoor are keeping everyone in stitches with punny wars, most recently related to bees, aided and abetted by additions from all and sundry. I'm sure I've missed some news, but that's off the top of my head.

Edit:
Ribh's girls have been having broody wars and the days of the girls congregating on the back stoop down under are mostly over. The new open air coop/run is mostly finished (MJ's girls, I think?)

I’m OK, Alex. My COVID turned into a sinus infection and I started on antibiotics yesterday. My daughter is a senior in high school and is having a really tough time right now… I’m trying to be there for her. Just lots going on here. But for the most part things are OK.
:hugs :hugs

I’m so sorry, RC. I fear Minnie desperately needs fluids. Are you pulling her aside for private feedings? Have you tried baby bird formula? She really needs to be hydrated properly before she can digest her food very well. At this point, if she isn’t drinking and you don’t want to try tubing fluids, I’d probably offer her a ride egg (privately) and see what she thinks. Or maybe even ever so slightly dilute it with a little clear Pedialyte?
I can get her to drink and sometimes she drinks on her own. I am spiking it with electrolytes and sugar when I can.
I created some beef pills using Gerber beef baby food frozen in litttle chunks and got a couple of those into her this morning just like giving a pill.

Are they planning to do blood work? Lilly's colitis was identified as a low grade infection by blood work, not culture. The culture was normal.

The two courses of antibiotics really improved her life. I can send you the tests that they ran which identified the infection.

Or you may just want to treat with an antibiotic to help rule out any infection.
Do please send the tests. Vet suggested blood work as next step along with flock fecal.
Did you know you can give chicken’s Pepto Bismol? Vet suggested that too.

For anyone wanting to keep bees, my best advice would be to find someone else to do it with. Someone experienced is great, but even another beginner is good, much of the handling is way easier if you are not alone.
@Ponypoor having bees did make a big difference for our fruit trees and because we have been chosing plants for the bees, now we have all type of pollinators. You can look up online pollinators friendly plants calendar for your zone. Having bee-friendly flowers for as long a period as possible should attract wild bees at least.
And it's also possible to have a hive without taking honey. In fact it's a lot easier since basically when you take honey you are stealing the bee's food 😬.

Loved this story, your dad sounds like a wonderful man 💚.
I did wonder about having bees without taking honey, or only taking it when I run out of honey for me. But then I figured that I already have loads of bees - I don’t know if they are wild or from neighbors, but either way, there are lots if bees!
So instead I focus on making sure there is lots for them to enjoy. I have stuff for them pretty much March to October.

Hey all! Just popping in to say hi, been super busy and now I think this thread has gotten away from me too much to catch up 😔
Snow and Belle are doing well, snow has finished her VERY long moult but not yet back to laying. Belle is half way through hers now, nearly lost all her tail feathers, and not laying 🙄
I hope everyone here and their feathered gals and guys are ok 💜
:frow

One or two outlier poops do not worry me. I need to see consistently off poops before I get concerned.

All that worries me is the possibility of blood in the top one. But I need to see more than 1 bloody poop before I get worried. Have there been more of the same?
They all got treated with Baycox for coccidia just over a week ago. The active ingredient is Toltrazuril.

Hey all! Just popping in to say hi, been super busy and now I think this thread has gotten away from me too much to catch up 😔
Snow and Belle are doing well, snow has finished her VERY long moult but not yet back to laying. Belle is half way through hers now, nearly lost all her tail feathers, and not laying 🙄
I hope everyone here and their feathered gals and guys are ok 💜
So great to see you again. I've missed you! :wee

Back
Top Bottom