Do please send the tests. Vet suggested blood work as next step along with flock fecal.
Did you know you can give chicken’s Pepto Bismol? Vet suggested that too.
I did not know you could give chickens pepto bismal. Good to know. I'm not home today. When I get home tomorrow ill pull the reports for you.

Last edited:
I did wonder about having bees without taking honey, or only taking it when I run out of honey for me. But then I figured that I already have loads of bees - I don’t know if they are wild or from neighbors, but either way, there are lots if bees!
So instead I focus on making sure there is lots for them to enjoy. I have stuff for them pretty much March to October.
We have planted a wide variety of flowers and trees here to encourage the bees. This year our old pear tree is loaded and our young apple trees have a nice crop coming. Today I want to remove some green shoots from the old pear tree in an attempt to propagate more trees. I love apples but the fruit from this tree is the sweetest and juiciest I've ever had.

So, this is my Caturday contribution...Cleo lurking in the background:
IMG_1051.JPG

On these pics of Ms. Mystery Chick, you can see the brown coloring on her hackles. (where it should be white...)
IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

So, barring similar to a Cuckoo Marans, a bit of Lulu (head crest), and some brown on the hackles. I'm guessing EE, Cuckoo Marans X Cream Legbar (possibly their lakeshore egger, but she definitely doesn't have a beard (yet, anyways)

She is friendly and sweet. Whatever she is, she is loved!❤️❤️❤️

So, this is my Caturday contribution...Cleo lurking in the background:
View attachment 3117221

On these pics of Ms. Mystery Chick, you can see the brown coloring on her hackles. (where it should be white...)View attachment 3117222
View attachment 3117223View attachment 3117224

So, barring similar to a Cuckoo Marans, a bit of Lulu (head crest), and some brown on the hackles. I'm guessing EE, Cuckoo Marans X Cream Legbar (possibly their lakeshore egger, but she definitely doesn't have a beard (yet, anyways)

She is friendly and sweet. Whatever she is, she is loved!❤️❤️❤️
I was going to say between the Crest and colour she’s starting to really look like a few of my second generation out of Isbar crosses, but that would be pretty weird out of a big hatchery so legbar Crossing of some sort 1-2 generations ago, all my first generation Marans x CCLxLeghorns, and Marans x Isbar showed solid with gold lacing, or solid with no lacing. I only started to see hints or actual barring leaking through in their grandkids.

I was going to say between the Crest and colour she’s starting to really look like a few of my second generation out of Isbar crosses, but that would be pretty weird out of a big hatchery so legbar Crossing of some sort 1-2 generations ago, all my first generation Marans x CCLxLeghorns, and Marans x Isbar showed solid with gold lacing, or solid with no lacing. I only started to see hints or actual barring leaking through in their grandkids.
Cuckoo marans are barred....I have a CuckooXAmericauna of my own that looks similar in terms of barring...but no 'leaking' of brown (but my Americauna girl was pretty light)

That is very kind of you to say. It was devastating at the time. Legertha and Sylvie would roost on my arm and groom and talk to me. They would snuggle at my neck. Just like Maleficent would.

Any affectionate chickens I have had like that have died way too young.

The hen that replaced them, Betty, will not even eat from my hand. I love her for who she is but if any chicken is ever that affectionate to me again I'm sure I will be very fearful for their lives.

Sansa and I had our own special bond as well. She was mean to the others but liked to hang with me so I miss her greatly. And Lilly, well she was Lilly. The grand old Dame herself. So many great Lilly stories.
I understand your feelings I think. The Buckeyes are not snuggly but they are quite tame and talk to me and each other a lot. Buckeyes might be a chatty breed, and that's nice. You know, you don't have any red-brown chickens, so..... :oops:
Anyway my two cents are that Betty is new still, she came in the late fall, and hasn't had you out there as much as you will be now that the weather is warm. She may not ever be snuggly, but she will probably calm down a lot more, and I bet you can get her to eat from your hand. :hugs

Thank you MJ. I am honestly not expecting Minnie to survive the night.
I managed to get a half a ml of fluid into her (electrolytes and sugar). That is all she tolerated. I hope it at least made her tongue feel less dry.
I can't get my mind around how fast she went down hill - she isn't a high production breed and she is young. It is just so, so sad.
I'm so sorry she is ill 😢 :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom