An update on Minnie.
Thank you @MaryJanet and @bgmathteach for asking about Minnie.
She is still with us and the last two nights has roosted on the big roost which is a small good sign.
She comes outside and has a nibble of leaf and a sip of wild water and then sits in the shade watching events. Then she goes into a nest box and collapses for the afternoon.
I have had no luck tempting her to eat eggs, fish, shrimp, beef or cabbage. She will eat a couple of meal worms and she ate a half a slice of kiwi fruit.
The vet suggestion of blood work and the negative fecal sample all happened late Friday and over the weekend so I haven’t made any more progress on that. I will try and get another appointment for her.
It is all very strange.
Protein electrophoresis can be used to identify chronic inflammation or a subclinical infection. A raised gamma protein is indicative of possible infection. A CBC with Differential could also help to ID an infection but the numbers do not always shift enough with chronic infection.

I would consider requesting treatment with timed release doxycycline if you go to the vet again while waiting for lab results. At this point it won't hurt her and I would not keep waiting. If it is an infection she is clearly not getting on top of it and might just need some help.

I am having one of those days were everything I do or touch is a complete disaster....

So I decided that I should just sit here with Curly and look at chicken videos of baby chicks - that's when I knocked over my cup of tea. Oh brother 😡

I decided I would just post some mug shots after that. Let's hope I can do this properly!

Rose and Penelope trying to decide if it's too cold or not.
View attachment 3119814

Penelope surveying her queendom
View attachment 3119816

Henny Penny looking for treats... Sorry kiddo I have non
View attachment 3119818

And Sophia telling me don't worry human, be happy, it's just spilt tea 💖
View attachment 3119819
Wood shavings are excellent for sopping up wet 🤗
Lovely mugs. I sure hope that your day improves.

Protein electrophoresis can be used to identify chronic inflammation or a subclinical infection. A raised gamma protein is indicative of possible infection. A CBC with Differential could also help to ID an infection but the numbers do not always shift enough with chronic infection.

I would consider requesting treatment with timed release doxycycline if you go to the vet again while waiting for lab results. At this point it won't hurt her and I would not keep waiting. If it is an infection she is clearly not getting on top of it and might just need some help.
I agree, if I have an ill horse who malingering I dose with a broad spectrum antibiotic and if needed fluids.

The same with my cats heaven knows they eat and drink all sorts of crud... Same with chickens, she could have eaten something spoiled or rotted.

Oh hope she gets better soon 💖

OK. Thanks. And why doxy vs amoxycillin (with or without Tylosin) both of which I have in stock? Or Baytril/enrofloxacin which I know I can get rapidly?

I am having one of those days were everything I do or touch is a complete disaster....

So I decided that I should just sit here with Curly and look at chicken videos of baby chicks - that's when I knocked over my cup of tea. Oh brother 😡

I decided I would just post some mug shots after that. Let's hope I can do this properly!

Rose and Penelope trying to decide if it's too cold or not.
View attachment 3119814

Penelope surveying her queendom
View attachment 3119816

Henny Penny looking for treats... Sorry kiddo I have non
View attachment 3119818

And Sophia telling me don't worry human, be happy, it's just spilt tea 💖
View attachment 3119819
Wood shavings are excellent for sopping up wet 🤗
I was going to pull out the transmission on the chickens Lexus today, but I’m afraid that I might have the same kind of day that you are having. (Would not be a good thing) I like doing things like that myself. Maybe I will just do it a little bit at a time (to keep cussing at it to a minimum :rant) I hope that your day improves.

Back
Top Bottom