Thanks for risking Chickie Hawk's wrath. Several of the little chicks have cheeks/beard indicators. As I'm finding presence of wattles is almost a better indicator than comb on cockerels, having a good pic of a mature bearded roo shows me that watching for wattles on those is unlikely to be helpful. He is a beauty and I can see why you want to keep him. (His defense of his girls is also a much desired trait with all the minks (auto-correct keeps wanting to make that mOnks) around your place)

View attachment 3120707

The buff on the edge has the most pronounced cheeks/beard, but the little chocolate flame has down puffing around the back, below the ears (not as high as the buff, so not sure if it's going to develop out or not). Mini Cheetah has cheeks tooView attachment 3120709
They are so darn adorable! 🥰

“Tomatoes” are a long standing joke in British Columbia, as our #1 cash crop was marijuana. It really was a cottage industry with a lot of small producers, and some very large ones. The plants are actually quite similar in their growing requirements and produced under similar systems, so you would often shop at a hydroponic store for supplies for you indoor “tomato” plants… 😂 It’s now fully legal here and individuals can grow their own, or purchase much like tobacco or alcohol. Not my personal preference, I would rather have a beer or nice scotch thanks, but it was a very lucrative industry to work in for a while. For a pretty low start up cost, with some basic gardening skills, and with fairly low risk (even before it was fully legalized) a person could make a decent profit from the comfort of their own home. Bonus, if you claimed it on your income tax that couldn’t be used as evidence against you or grounds for a search warrant on your property. As long as you didn’t try to steal hydro, ruin someone’s rental property, or evade paying your taxes it was also a relatively safe job. Theft of Hydro was the #1 reason for people doing jail time for it here actually.

Speaking of Taxes:View attachment 3120730
Ok. I feel better now. I checked the spelling like 4 times. I could not figure what I was missing. 🤣

Speaking of Babies: I moved the Meatbirds to fresh grass and it went fairly well, only had to round up a few strays that went a little further abroad than preferred, but a good first move!View attachment 3120743
I don’t have any pictures yet… but Goldies butt is cheeping, her front is still extremely bitey, and someone is sitting on a ticking stink bomb of an egg… which has me a little worried. She’s still on four, or I guess three now, eggs (clumsy!) and great Mama is sitting on about 8? Due in a day or so (so if Goldie only has one I can sneak another chick from Grey Mama in for company. Then we have this one:View attachment 3120749
Who I am still waiting on… and is getting increasingly violent towards me. She’s as bad as Goldie! I even look at her udder from a distance and she goes into attack mode, she’s not fooling around or being playful either. She’s actively trying to gore with her horns so I think she’s getting really close to being a mama too.
These are all very exciting developments! :wee :wee

Wow! Laying in a different nest seems a huge change, unless I'm not remembering your flocks habits 🤔
Huge change. Last time I had to wire off her end of the coop to keep them from dragging her out and destroying her nest. Their attitude is completely different this. With Lilly and Sansa gone the tribe seems more accepting. I was figuring I only had another day or to to try and move her to the Cluckle Hut. I'm going to let her go where she is right now for the time being.

Agree, although it does have some benefits in treating symptoms of some illnesses (not glaucoma 🙄 lol) for stimulating appetite, inducing sleep, etc. I don’t think most “recreational” drug use is generally a positive for society, including excessive alcohol consumption, and cigarettes. Both of which I have done. Not to even mention some of the prescription drug abuse issues.

Which is why I find the sudden decision to legalize/decriminalize cannabis interesting politically and socially. The widespread promotion and increase in accessibility of alcoholic beverages (especially stronger distilled ones) happened along with the industrial revolution as people began to move into higher concentrations and work more in unpleasant indoor conditions. It’s been suggested that this was partially a mechanism for keeping a working class more complacent and less unsatisfied with their situations. The “opiate of the masses”. Now we are seeing widespread acceptance of another numbing mind altering substance and it makes me wonder if this is some indication of further challenges for the poor and middle classes in the industrialized world.

Not even to touch upon the impact of alcohol on the indigenous North American People. I’m not sure how it translates to the USA but our First Nations have been socially destroyed by not only alcohol and some absolutely awful institutionalized abuses by our government and the Early Churches here, but the generational harm that has happened and continues to happen within their communities.

Tax:View attachment 3120765
I get your message. Problem is, if enough people want to jump off a cliff, and public opinion overrides reason, then our government would legalize suicide, in an attempt to please the popular vote! And it’s getting worse all the time! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom