Happy Mug Shot Monday! From one of my Sapphire/Marans Crosses, Sammy (he always poses for me… and I risked my arms, Phone, and face for this last one Chickie Hawk. Seeing as it is a beards/Muffs day as per Bob and Creamsicle isn’t Budging from her eggs today!View attachment 3120685View attachment 3120689View attachment 3120690
Thanks for risking Chickie Hawk's wrath. Several of the little chicks have cheeks/beard indicators. As I'm finding presence of wattles is almost a better indicator than comb on cockerels, having a good pic of a mature bearded roo shows me that watching for wattles on those is unlikely to be helpful. He is a beauty and I can see why you want to keep him. (His defense of his girls is also a much desired trait with all the minks (auto-correct keeps wanting to make that mOnks) around your place)

20220522_112905.jpg

The buff on the edge has the most pronounced cheeks/beard, but the little chocolate flame has down puffing around the back, below the ears (not as high as the buff, so not sure if it's going to develop out or not). Mini Cheetah has cheeks too
20220522_090602.jpg

I'm dense today. What am I missing?
“Tomatoes” are a long standing joke in British Columbia, as our #1 cash crop was marijuana. It really was a cottage industry with a lot of small producers, and some very large ones. The plants are actually quite similar in their growing requirements and produced under similar systems, so you would often shop at a hydroponic store for supplies for you indoor “tomato” plants… 😂 It’s now fully legal here and individuals can grow their own, or purchase much like tobacco or alcohol. Not my personal preference, I would rather have a beer or nice scotch thanks, but it was a very lucrative industry to work in for a while. For a pretty low start up cost, with some basic gardening skills, and with fairly low risk (even before it was fully legalized) a person could make a decent profit from the comfort of their own home. Bonus, if you claimed it on your income tax that couldn’t be used as evidence against you or grounds for a search warrant on your property. As long as you didn’t try to steal hydro, ruin someone’s rental property, or evade paying your taxes it was also a relatively safe job. Theft of Hydro was the #1 reason for people doing jail time for it here actually.

Speaking of Taxes:
7CC7F7E0-3BDE-4455-8A1B-DB6FB7D66DB5.jpeg

An update on Minnie.
Thank you @MaryJanet and @bgmathteach for asking about Minnie.
She is still with us and the last two nights has roosted on the big roost which is a small good sign.
She comes outside and has a nibble of leaf and a sip of wild water and then sits in the shade watching events. Then she goes into a nest box and collapses for the afternoon.
I have had no luck tempting her to eat eggs, fish, shrimp, beef or cabbage. She will eat a couple of meal worms and she ate a half a slice of kiwi fruit.
The vet suggestion of blood work and the negative fecal sample all happened late Friday and over the weekend so I haven’t made any more progress on that. I will try and get another appointment for her.
It is all very strange.
So sorry you're both going through this difficult time.

She's not on vitamin supplements, is she?

“Tomatoes” are a long standing joke in British Columbia, as our #1 cash crop was marijuana. It really was a cottage industry with a lot of small producers, and some very large ones. The plants are actually quite similar in their growing requirements and produced under similar systems, so you would often shop at a hydroponic store for supplies for you indoor “tomato” plants… 😂 It’s now fully legal here and individuals can grow their own, or purchase much like tobacco or alcohol. Not my personal preference, I would rather have a beer or nice scotch thanks, but it was a very lucrative industry to work in for a while. For a pretty low start up cost, with some basic gardening skills, and with fairly low risk (even before it was fully legalized) a person could make a decent profit from the comfort of their own home. Bonus, if you claimed it on your income tax that couldn’t be used as evidence against you or grounds for a search warrant on your property. As long as you didn’t try to steal hydro, ruin someone’s rental property, or evade paying your taxes it was also a relatively safe job. Theft of Hydro was the #1 reason for people doing jail time for it here actually.

Speaking of Taxes:View attachment 3120730
Don’t get me wrong, but I don’t like cannabis in any form. Used as a recreational drug is (in my opinion) a waste of good brain cells. If people want to be happy, then get chickens 🐓!

Speaking of Babies: I moved the Meatbirds to fresh grass and it went fairly well, only had to round up a few strays that went a little further abroad than preferred, but a good first move!
9B66BBCB-D9B3-4430-822B-A09AE982FB29.jpeg

I don’t have any pictures yet… but Goldies butt is cheeping, her front is still extremely bitey, and someone is sitting on a ticking stink bomb of an egg… which has me a little worried. She’s still on four, or I guess three now, eggs (clumsy!) and great Mama is sitting on about 8? Due in a day or so (so if Goldie only has one I can sneak another chick from Grey Mama in for company. Then we have this one:
E3E3E024-2429-4ABD-912A-3406A6A7D0B9.jpeg

Who I am still waiting on… and is getting increasingly violent towards me. She’s as bad as Goldie! I even look at her udder from a distance and she goes into attack mode, she’s not fooling around or being playful either. She’s actively trying to gore with her horns so I think she’s getting really close to being a mama too.

Thanks for risking Chickie Hawk's wrath. Several of the little chicks have cheeks/beard indicators. As I'm finding presence of wattles is almost a better indicator than comb on cockerels, having a good pic of a mature bearded roo shows me that watching for wattles on those is unlikely to be helpful. He is a beauty and I can see why you want to keep him. (His defense of his girls is also a much desired trait with all the minks (auto-correct keeps wanting to make that mOnks) around your place)

View attachment 3120707

The buff on the edge has the most pronounced cheeks/beard, but the little chocolate flame has down puffing around the back, below the ears (not as high as the buff, so not sure if it's going to develop out or not). Mini Cheetah has cheeks tooView attachment 3120709
I love the puffy muffs on the buff one in the first picture.
:love

Back
Top Bottom