Minnie having a good long drink of wild water. This makes me very happy as I haven’t seen her drink anything all day.
View attachment 3120595

I have tried, but she really only wants wild water and is barely eating anything.
You probably already know this but I discovered that to have them drink fresh water, it helps to have it running from a hose, or even pouring it from a jug.

When Caramel was sick, unlike the other sick hens I've had, she refused all the confort food like scrambled eggs, sardines..and when she began very slowly eating after a week, she would only peck at layer food and not touch anything else. However like Minnie she always kept eating some grass during those days, and she also ate the orache and amaranth I was giving the flock. I wonder if it's just personal preferences or if they will eat things that are adapted to their illness.

I hope Minnie gets better, she seems a very lovely hen and she's quite pretty. Also, you take beautiful pictures.

Read just fine to me… then again some of what I typed this afternoon was pretty bad, I could hardly see my phone though with the sun, which was a nice change.

Edit to add I know the difference between your and you’re I just had my phone decide what I was trying to say, then when I re-read it… I didn’t think it was too bad, and no one has called me out on the grammar, spelling, and fully the wrong words yet.
My phone decides for me all the time. My phone will misspell my daughter’s name when I’m voice-to-texting her. C’mon, Siri! The spelling is in the phone!

Last edited:
Feather Loss

One of the things that has frustrated Sydney snd Phyllis was an inability to effectively peck and thereby bully Betty. With all the fluff she has they had trouble locating a spot where they could effectively hit her body.

Like all enterprising chickens, sadly, they have found a way. Look at these photos and you can see the vulnerable spot which they have located.

View attachment 3108732View attachment 3108734

Dominance Event

Betty is primarily pecked at while snacks are being distributed. Sydney will run her off anytime but mostly it is the usual bottom of the pecking order stuff. Well yesterday during a snack session, just about everyone including Aurora had been harassing her. I think she had enough. As the snacks were finished there was an incident between Betty and Hattie. It was so unexpected that I have no film or photos.

Betty was looking over the top of everyone, I think looking for Éowyn. Therefore he neck was extended. I believe that battery life Hattie day her and mistook it for a potential attack. Hattie immediately turned to face Betty, flared her neck feathers, and made some sound I have not heard before.

Betty did not back down. She flared her neck feathers, as best she can, and vocalized back at Hattie.

There was a pause as they stared at each other. Then they broke eye contact and each went their separate ways.

I liked that Betty stood up for herself and my guess is she somehow explained herself and Hattie accepted it. I wonder if Betty will be pushed so far that she might stand up to Phyllis or Sydney at some point. I'd like for them to settle down with all the pecking. I don't like seeing a bald spot on my Betty.
Goo, Betty! What a bada$$ standing up to Hattie!

Good morning Everyone, here are some photos of my gals

Lulu is 20 yrs old she is a snowcap Pony-of-the-americas
View attachment 3108695

Sally is 22 she still a a roan Pony-of-the-americas
View attachment 3108696

Truly is 20 yrs old and am Arabian
View attachment 3108698

Reenie is 21 yrs old and she is a thoroughbred. Silly girl got the ear on her fly mask off some how, it protects their ears free m blackflies.
View attachment 3108697

There it's fixed
View attachment 3108699

And my gals out for some free ranging ( they need rounding up they are over on my neighbours!)
View attachment 3108701

View attachment 3108703

Some visitors, Canada Geese flying into my neighbours back yard.
View attachment 3108705
I missed this post (among many others). It’s lovely.

Ramping up here, too.
We have pretty much got over everything here, still have admissions to hospital but nothing of any concern. Mask use is pretty much done with, I sill wear as it's now the Influenza surging here!! Not to mention kids with snotty nosed 🙄 ewwwww!

Now it's that avian Flu worrying our poultry farms, I gave up trying to contain my gang. And I did allow the barn swallows to nest in the barn. But I have been chasing the geese away.

Has anyone out there heard of anyone affected by this avian flu? There are a couple small backyard flocks affected just south of me...

Two four Tuesday on 2 4 day 😊

Two white silkies
IMG_20220523_140021.jpg

Two Grey Ladies
IMG_20220523_140236.jpg

Two sisters
IMG_20220523_140700.jpg

Two dust bathing sweeties
IMG_20220523_144157.jpg

Two dandelions and Marty
IMG_20220523_144543.jpg

Two black beauties