It seems I am not alone. Dotty goes after Minnie’s ankles (sort of) too.
That was no 'sort of'❗ Wow :eek:that was a full on attack of her feet/lower legs.!!! (I realize that in actuality, their 'ankles' are what most of us would think are knees, but for all practical purposes, it seems like the same 'placement' as our ankles.)

I find it sadly ironic that being in charge of building automation in our facility that the only hvac units not working are directly over my work area.😓😆
Cobblers kids are without shoes! Or, chicken keepers without any feather dusters :gig :gig

Fluffy bottoms: (Best I could do with the geese. Not very cooperative in that dept.!)
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG

I have a serious question for those of you who have multiple boys and let the hens hatch chicks. Do you think the rooster know which chicks are their own offspring? For that matter I wonder if hens know as well if another hen hatches one of her eggs. I started pondering this when Baby was raising her adopted babies. Butter took serious interest in one of the white chicks. At times I felt she was threatening to steal it. I moved Bunny and her 2 chicks out to the coop this afternoon. Branch who has been good with the chicks already this season is obsessed with Twig. He is ignoring the other chick and is constantly tid bitting and trying to feed it outside the pen. I'm going to keep Bunny and the babies separate for a few days. I'm really curious to see how Branch behaves once I let them outside, but I swear he knows that Twig is his baby.
So, I suspect they do. However, I do remember @Shadrach mentioning one of his big/head roosters in Spain would 'accept' all the chicks hatched by hens in his tribe, and would imprint on them...even when they clearly weren't his. Also, that usually, given the opportunity, that like breeds/chickens tended to hang out with like. So, it may be that Branch recognizes Twig as his, or maybe just recognizes Twig as much more similar to him than the full on Marans. It may also be that the other one is a boy and this one is a hen. Though we can't readily tell male/female, trust me, the chickens know right away.

Very sorry, but none of the chickens want their fluffy butt picture taken today. :(
Mine either...also prepping to grad party tomorrow, sister and family arrived last night, parents arrived mid afternoon, 2 year old niece loving the chickens: feeding, "hi, gickin" then "hi, neyyee" (translation for those who don't speak toddler: hi, chicken...hi, Nellie), finding eggs, watching everything from the tiny littles all the way up to the biggest bigs. "Want to read a book?" "Outside!" The tribe was surprisingly tolerant of and willing to be near a toddler (who was quietly respectful of their space too).

That's why I ask my husband do weight himself and then weight him+chicken. Problem solved!
Rats! I should've got married when I had the chance! :lau i guess the neighbour can fill in if needs are desperate, otherwise they're weighed twice a year at their checkups

Hello everyone. This has been a busy and stressful week and I am over 100 pages behind. I marked where I left off and will go back and catch up but I wanted to share 2 things with you.

First off, she did it, my baby girl is now in high school. I did not think we would survive as she came down with a ear infection and sinus infection Sunday with so many pre grad activities left. Thankfully we pulled through and she is on the mend. Nerves was also getting to her as she and 3 of her classmates had to do the pledge during the ceremony. There were 63 students in her graduating class and she was 1 of 8 with a 4.0. I've told her besides taking care of her horse, she has the whole summer to relax and enjoy herself, she's earned it.
View attachment 3125734View attachment 3125740View attachment 3125741
Next, Bunny is a momma again. 2 of her 3 eggs hatched yesterday afternoon. I also got a shock when I was checking the chicks. I would have swore to you all that Branch was not able to breed the big girls. He tries but always falls off unsuccessfully or they girls shake him off and chase him. Well, I was wrong, and to Rosie's delight he got lucky once and we have a "Twig". No mistaken it is a Branch baby as it has the 5 silkie toes. The other chick is a full Marans and a Holly baby. Due to her history, and what I'm seeing, I'm taking a chance and calling it a boy.
View attachment 3125751View attachment 3125752
Twig is in front and a very suspicious boy looking Maran in the back.
View attachment 3125753View attachment 3125758View attachment 3125759View attachment 3125760
Wonderful post. Congrats on all levels!

Back
Top Bottom