I only just thought of this. Do bearded chicken ladies not have wattles? I don’t see any wattles on Bella.
By the way, I am discovering that 7 chickens is a lot of chickens. I keep losing count. I always seem to be missing one.

View attachment 3161999
Peggy and Ivy have very small ones, only a couple of mm.

Happy Fluffy Butt Friday
DSCN8099.JPG
DSCN8094.JPG
DSCN8092.JPG

We Have Our First Name

Interesting it is Lady Orpington who gets her name first. Here is our beauty.

View attachment 3161444View attachment 3161445View attachment 3161446View attachment 3161447View attachment 3161448View attachment 3161449View attachment 3161450View attachment 3161451

Lady Featherington
Why that name you may ask?

She is already acting like royalty. For example, this morning when they needed food she looked at me as if to say, "Young man, bring me that food. I do not see the need to go down that ramp on my own."

And later when I needed to clean the nest she told me, "I do not do ramps as they are beneath my dignity. Young man, pick me up and move me next to the food again. "

Add her attitude to the fact that the breed was developed for the Queen's Jubilee and we have our first royal to reside at Fluffy Butt Acres!

For the record everyone is "young" man or woman to her.
I'm surprised she's not calling you Jeeves :gig

I only just thought of this. Do bearded chicken ladies not have wattles? I don’t see any wattles on Bella.
By the way, I am discovering that 7 chickens is a lot of chickens. I keep losing count. I always seem to be missing one.

View attachment 3161999
Try 12!!!!

And they keep moving so I keep losing count 😆

Thanks for asking, Lauren. Not so good. No improvement, and his appetite is starting to wane, too, now. If I hold him, he will eat about 1/2 of what he should, but if I put the dish where he can reach it (when not holding him), he will look at it, then turn his head away without so much as one bite/peck. When I took care of him this morning, I picked him up and he just laid his head against me and closed his eyes. I think he is giving up. (Not that I can blame him - it has been horrible watching him slowly decline) :hit
His heart may be failing? He could be passing out when you hold him.

That move - head resting with full weight on you, eyes closing - reminded me of a stray cat we took in, naming her Bonesy as she was so skinny. (Previous owners had declawed her at some point. Then she was dumped. 😡 She was skin and bones and patchy fur - not caused by mites but from severe starvation). She had heart failure, the vet theorized, brought on or made worse by the starvation. She died very soon after she started doing this. (She had a very good year and a half with us though). Maybe your poor roo has heart failure, maybe cancer, maybe both. The poor guy! I'm so sorry he's not improving 😢 :hugs :hugs

Oh I know it's so awesome, here I am sitting getting eaten by mosquitoes, enjoying the sounds of the chickens babbling, and the horses munching on hay.

And you know the old saying:

There is nothing so good for the inside of a man (woman) as the outside of a horse

🤗

(My back is also protesting my riding Truly last night)

View attachment 3161979
Marvelous photo. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom