Roost!

While I was working on the awning I decided to build a small roost for use in the quarantine coop. Simple enough using @ChicoryBlue idea. 2 2x4 pieces with a smaller board across.

View attachment 3172476

And deployed in the coop.

View attachment 3172477

So I moved them up last night. Lady Featherington loved it. Glynda used it but check out how her head drapes! That cannot be comfortable.

View attachment 3172481

But honestly, these Polish are the worst. Everytime I look on the camera at night I worry she is dead until I see her breathing.

View attachment 3172482

Why do Polish do that? That would be heart-stopping! I’ve seen a Silkie rooster do that too (I think it was a Silkie).

I was in the hay mow to throw down some square bales of hay and saw this lovely Beauty...

I grabbed her and brought her down, took some photos them out her out with the chickies to see what they would do.....

View attachment 3173061View attachment 3173060
Nice little Garter snake 🐍

I have video of the encounter and will see about posting, but spoiler alert - my gals were not willing to take her on hahaha, guess she was a little too big for them to swallow hahaha!
We have garter snakes in Kentucky but I don't see them here in Texas..

I am a little worried about Bella.
I have posted on the emergencies forum.
If any of you have any experience with this I would appreciate your thoughts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-possibly-gapeworm.1536451/
Checked out the video, it doesn't look like heat panting to me, my Henny Penny is the queen of panting...

This looks more like gasping. Also is she normally drowsy? My gals snooze alot so is she just snoozing? Check in the morning when cooler.

Worming likely won't be the worse thing to do, if I were worried I would go ahead and worm her.

I think she's just hot and tired RC. Has she been coughing or wheezing? If so, maybe search online for photos of gapeworm in the gullet take a look down her throat?
I just posted another video of her honking - which might be a cough.
The little dear flew up into my arms just now - in all my worry I forgot to post that I seem to have a lap chicken!) and she opened wide right in my face but I couldn't see anything!
It is cooler now and she is chowing down on some mash so she is definitely eating.
Maybe I should bring her in to my newly functioning A/C and see if she still does that - particularly as she seems to like me, it might be a bonding experience!
The forecast for tonight and all tomorrow morning is actually quite cool so if she is doing it tomorrow morning it definitely isn't heat.
These little feathered friends are such a worry somehow!

I just posted another video of her honking - which might be a cough.
The little dear flew up into my arms just now - in all my worry I forgot to post that I seem to have a lap chicken!) and she opened wide right in my face but I couldn't see anything!
It is cooler now and she is chowing down on some mash so she is definitely eating.
Maybe I should bring her in to my newly functioning A/C and see if she still does that - particularly as she seems to like me, it might be a bonding experience!
The forecast for tonight and all tomorrow morning is actually quite cool so if she is doing it tomorrow morning it definitely isn't heat.
These little feathered friends are such a worry somehow!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom