Pics of the ventilation modification of Cholo's house.
20220706_132508.jpg
opened up the door to give Cholo and Gorda more headspace entering and exiting the coop. Removed top 6 inches of the wall to allow much more air flow.
20220706_132522.jpg
Removed another 6 inches on the top of this side and added soffit vent covers to the remainder. The wind comes from this direction in the summer so they'll catch more of any breeze now. I have soffit vent covers on the other 2 sides so I'm pretty happy with this coop.

I won’t be getting a pillow for my chooks, but I am looking for a good (low waste) feeder for them. Anybody have any ideas? Suggestions? Tell me to buzz off?

Th

, any help is appreciated
If squirrels, mice & rats are a concern, then get a treadle feeder. I think someone, maybe @MaryJanet, got one within the last year? I observed mice going after feed on my regular feeder so I launched this one. Also wild birds can’t get at it now, a good thing as far as diseases. I don’t have a problem with raking but I got an add-on they offer for that and haven’t needed it. So far I like mine well enough, I got a two-bird size. I did remove the soft-close mechanism to get a firmer close, so it does bang when they step off. I think the newer models have been improved with a different pull point. Anyway not a problem for us. When the feeder gets low it gets resonant and noticeable, I know to fill it if I haven’t checked in a while. Here’s the web site for mine http://ratproofchickenfeeder.net/

If squirrels, mice & rats are a concern, then get a treadle feeder. I think someone, maybe @MaryJanet, got one within the last year? I observed mice going after feed on my regular feeder so I launched this one. Also wild birds can’t get at it now, a good thing as far as diseases. I don’t have a problem with raking but I got an add-on they offer for that and haven’t needed it. So far I like mine well enough, I got a two-bird size. I did remove the soft-close mechanism to get a firmer close, so it does bang when they step off. I think the newer models have been improved with a different pull point. Anyway not a problem for us. When the feeder gets low it gets resonant and noticeable, I know to fill it if I haven’t checked in a while. Here’s the web site for mine http://ratproofchickenfeeder.net/
That’s one idea. Thank you. Maybe I will try a diy simple feeder first. I normally feed them myself, but I will be gone for three days this weekend.

That’s one idea. Thank you. Maybe I will try a diy simple feeder first. I normally feed them myself, but I will be gone for three days this weekend.
This one holds 15 pounds but they have a 30 pound model. I use the 15 pounder. I don't have a problem with mice but if you do I'd get something different.
Screenshot_20220706-170516_Chrome.jpg

So, yes, Cleo's catch was a young rabbit, that I managed to rescue from her. (Trust me, no easy feat as she takes off if she thinks you are going to steal her catch!) I think she will be okay; she has some puncture wounds from Cleo that I've tried to clean. So, as long as she doesn't die from the stress (according to my sister who raised rabbits for a while as an adult, that is a thing with them!), nor the wounds get infected, she will be fine.

And the marauder was an opossum, as you can tell by the open mouth/bared teeth, s/he was NOT happy.

I took some more 'two-fer' just to pay my taxes:

Two of my 'fake' BRs, with a smidgen of my 'real' BR roo. Unfortunately, he has been a bit too attentive to the girls, as you can see. Also a bit of Goldie under the leaves.View attachment 3175063

My two older black girls. Raven (one with a somewhat flopped comb - in the back) is maransX lav. orp, the other girl is BRx??. Essentially a barnyard mix.
View attachment 3175065

And, last but not least, my cuckoo marans X EE, & BR X EE.
View attachment 3175066
I hope that little bunny survives :(

Back
Top Bottom