@RoyalChick

Did you manage to clear your little chickens crop? I'm still trying with flexi there's no chance of a vet help I've looked and asked

Did you find out what caused it?
Do you mean Minnie from a while back? Yes, it took just over a week and I had to give antifungals as she got yeast infection/sour crop.
But yes, eventually it cleared and she seems to be fine now apart from the diarrhea which they have all had for months now.
For Minnie I did strong massages with coconut oil and gave a supplement called cellulase (it is an enzyme that breaks down cellulose) to break down the blockage. I treated the yeast infection with vaginal miconazole cream from the chemist.
I got rid of the yeast before I cleared the blockage for some reason.
I did not find out what caused it - but it happened when I treated for worms and coccidia. So I am thinking maybe it was a blockage of dead worms, or maybe a reaction she had to the medication.
It could all be coincidence too of course.
The first time it happened I eventually pulled a very long grass stem out of her rear end which is what I suspect caused the problem. But I didn't see anything like that this time around.
I do hope you are able to help Flexi.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Mathew my pretty boy!
20220103_172158.jpg

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.
Honestly to me it is really an open question, I haven't enough experience and knowledge to make myself a definite opinion on what one should feed a sick chicken and whether and when it's better to try to take a more natural approach, or try to do what we feel will be good for the chicken. I find it really interesting to read all the different experiences and find out the pros and the cons. It does help to make more conscious decisions, even if the environment our chickens live in can be fairly different.

And those different environments also affect how we care for our pets/livestock, I treat my chickens confined to pens differently than the free range flock for nutritional needs, and it will vary widely based on keeping style and location what they do have access to. Two of the three tribes that do t free range have unlimited access to feed, the curvy girls in my meat breeding do not. My free range flock gets less feed and forages more, but I have access to acres of quality pasture and dense silvopasture that they enjoy. The average suburban yard (no offense Bob and other back yard keepers!) will never be able to provide the same range of foraging.

Back
Top Bottom