Thank you so much 💗
I need all the advice I can get .
I almost made the fatal mistake of trying too operate thinking it may be an impacted crop however it's not hard but exactly as you described with Minnie

I have canesteen cream but only I percent

I really have never heard of cellulose, what form do you get it in? Capsule tablets or powder? I have to try to find this now I hope I'm not too late.

Wormer feed is still not here 😒 but she has done a few poos today and much more solid but it stinks
I am sure the canestan cream will be fine against the yeast - but be sure you need it - you should be able to tell easily if she has a yeast infection (known as sour crop).
- Crop will be like a water balloon
- You may hear bubbles if you massage the crop
- You will smell on her breath something that smells like saurkraut or bread dough or in Minnie's case like a brewery - that smell is the yeast and is unmistakable if you have it.
Only treat with an antifungal like canestan if you are sure she has the yeast infection.

As far as cellulase is concerned I am not sure it is exactly standard treatment but I was desperate and from first principles in biology it should work.
- Cellulose is the substance that makes plants fibrous
- Cellulase (look for the ASE ending) is an enzyme that dissolves cellulose. Animals like cows that live off grass have bacteria in their guts that make cellulase and that helps digest the cellulose so they can benefit from the nutrition. Cellulase is often added to commercial chicken feed to aid in digestion

You can buy cellulase as a human supplement to aid in digestion. I looked on a couple of UK sites and you can get it but it is often with other enzymes non of which look harmful. I suspect it is not your standard High Street purchase however.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 32231E3E-43BC-46FC-92D0-6AC85C1D1001.jpeg
    32231E3E-43BC-46FC-92D0-6AC85C1D1001.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 46E89F53-0606-4D39-A7AF-29D8C5A4A531.jpeg
    46E89F53-0606-4D39-A7AF-29D8C5A4A531.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 86D58390-77DB-47C5-88AF-E3611201A2B6.jpeg
    86D58390-77DB-47C5-88AF-E3611201A2B6.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 1
I am sure the canestan cream will be fine against the yeast - but be sure you need it - you should be able to tell easily if she has a yeast infection (known as sour crop).
- Crop will be like a water balloon
- You may hear bubbles if you massage the crop
- You will smell on her breath something that smells like saurkraut or bread dough or in Minnie's case like a brewery - that smell is the yeast and is unmistakable if you have it.
Only treat with an antifungal like canestan if you are sure she has the yeast infection.

As far as cellulase is concerned I am not sure it is exactly standard treatment but I was desperate and from first principles in biology it should work.
- Cellulose is the substance that makes plants fibrous
- Cellulase (look for the ASE ending) is an enzyme that dissolves cellulose. Animals like cows that live off grass have bacteria in their guts that make cellulase and that helps digest the cellulose so they can benefit from the nutrition. Cellulase is often added to commercial chicken feed to aid in digestion

You can buy cellulase as a human supplement to aid in digestion. I looked on a couple of UK sites and you can get it but it is often with other enzymes non of which look harmful. I suspect it is not your standard High Street purchase however.

Hope that helps.
Thank RC 😊 🙏

Can those cooler drinkers be purchased or did you make it? It’s brilliant. My flock doesn’t know how to use nipple waterers, but they can learn!

I use mini silicone loaf pans for my ice blocks. I haven’t broken them out yet, but will soon.
Made them, but it isn't too hard. Hardest part (well, for me) was to drill perpendicular to cooler wall:lau:idunno

Coleman 2 gallon cooler, plus nippple waterers, plus these adaptors (since the nipples aren't long enough to go through the cooler wall), plus thicker gaskets so they don't leak on curvature of cooler. One of these would negate the need for different gaskets.

I LOVE these waterers for the summer...and as you can see, my girls do to. I had JUST put the waterer down after filling/taking pics, and my girls ran right over & started to drink. They know the water is always cold...and it seems 2 gallons is a good amount (the smaller square coolers hold a little over 1 gal., not enough with m y large flock.) I have 3 cooler waterers...two like this, and one using the britetap. The down side for me with the britetap is only 2 nipples, and pricey. That said, it works well and is definitely easier .....

Was going to save these for Thirsty Thursday...but...oh well, lol:

EDITED to add: They picked it up quickly! Once a couple learn, they all figure it out by watching the others.

IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

Back
Top Bottom