She is on shannys egg. And she’s very stubborn. I’m hoping that she loses interest soon.
She will not lose interest if she has an egg. I would not like her going 40+ days broody. Not that she couldn't do it but I'm not certain it's a good idea. Phyllis went 30+ and I finally had to take all eggs from her and keep new ones from her on order for her to give up.

She will not lose interest if she has an egg. I would not like her going 40+ days broody. Not that she couldn't do it but I'm not certain it's a good idea. Phyllis went 30+ and I finally had to take all eggs from her and keep new ones from her on order for her to give up.
I’ll take away the egg tomorrow. I’m just enjoying her company for the time being.

2nd Night, Same as the First

Henery the 8th I am........

It happened again tonight.

20220714_204112.jpg
20220714_204107.jpg

Lady Featherington started it by jumping into my lap. Then Glynda came to roost in my shoulder.

They stayed a while and then went back to the bottom door. My hand became a stopover point in their journey back.

20220714_204149.jpg
20220714_204152.jpg

Then after seeming to settle in for the night, Lady Featherington returned to my lap for a visit. She hung out for a while and then went back. They wound up like this.

20220714_204709.jpg
20220714_205942.jpg

Glynda feel asleep like this. 😆
20220714_210215.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not leave them to sleep like that so I moved them to the low roost tonight so they would get the cool air on their faces.

20220714_211026.jpg

2nd Night, Same as the First

Henery the 8th I am........

It happened again tonight.

View attachment 3186570View attachment 3186571

Lady Featherington started it by jumping into my lap. Then Glynda came to roost in my shoulder.

They stayed a while and then went back to the bottom door. My hand became a stopover point in their journey back.

View attachment 3186579View attachment 3186580

Then after seeming to settle in for the night, Lady Featherington returned to my lap for a visit. She hung out for a while and then went back. They wound up like this.

View attachment 3186584View attachment 3186585

Glynda feel asleep like this. 😆
View attachment 3186586

Unfortunately, I could not leave them to sleep like that so I moved them to the low roost tonight so they would get the cool air on their faces.

View attachment 3186587
How sweet. 😍

Hey all. I haven't been on for several days and am about to start catching up. First though I want to give you all an update on Bella.
Bella remains very poorly. I sent a throat swab for analysis and had almost convinced myself she had Mycoplasma. She does not.
She has a viral infection called Infectious Laryngotracheitis. It is caused by a herpes-type virus.
It generally comes in moderate or severe forms. The severe has a very high mortality rate (up to 70%) and is characterized by 'gaping' (which she does) and a lot of bloody mucus (which she does not have). The moderate has a lower mortality rate (up to 30%). It is supposed to resolve itself (well go dormant) in about 14 days.
Looks like Bella is going to take us past the average.
Because it is supposed to be a self-limiting disease I decided to tube feed her. I suspect it is at least as traumatic for me as it is for her, particularly as she collapses with exhaustion after every feed.

Thanks to both @micstrachan and @BY Bob for advice along the way.

There is a whole debate about vaccinating the rest of the flock. I will save the details on that for now - Bob just suggested I write an article on it as I have for sure dug deep on the research!

In terms of tube feeding, I have not wanted to swaddle Bella up too tight in a towel because she already feels like she can't breathe and I don't want to make matters worse. So instead I am wrapping her in a bucket (well a dish bowl really) so she can't wriggle away when I am in the middle of feeding her.

So, for Thirsty Thursday here is little Bella in her bucket after getting 55mls of liquid baby bird formula and a raw egg delivered straight into her crop.

My poor baby!

Now I am off to catch up on the thread before her next feed.

View attachment 3186200
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugsPoor Bella, she looks totally displeased with her feeding experience...

'Mom, I'm sick, just leave me alooooonnnnne!!!!!!'

Mom: But dear, if you don't eat, you'll starve to death....so: " you'll eat and you'll like it!!!"

****************************************************************************************
:oops: My goodness,:barnie I'm turning into my mother:oops:

We interrupt this posting for a public service announcement:

"Your mother isn't always right. And @RoyalChick would never say this, she is too sweet and empathetic!"

**********************************************************************************************

ah-em: returning to our previous broadcast:

Mom: Sweetie, I love you, and if you don't eat, I'll lose you. (mom's eyes glisten) please don't make this any harder than it already is.

Bella: No fair, you're being a bully and I'm too weak to REALLY take you one. I'm going to just pout and sulk and be a miserable, sick teenager.:tongue

Mom: It's a good thing i love you!
:rolleyes::hit:rolleyes::hugs:hugs:hugs

:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugsHugs to you, @RoyalChick . I am praying for you and sweet Bella!

Last edited:
I am not quite sure I am ready for this, but I have to face facts. Her comb is quite red and she just squatted for me.
I think we may be approaching first egg time.
Isn’t that waaay too soon?
She also jumped onto my arm - she is still my little alien baby!

View attachment 3186328
Evidently, the signals are coming in strong & heating up her reception area. Be careful...suddenly hopping onto your arm may be an indication of an impending 'probe;'for information. Hopefully it is done the human way - by inquisition - not by body cavity...well, you know.:idunno:lau:lau:lau

Given her breed, I would think she would be on the early as opposed to the later end of the spectrum. She is coming up on 16 weeks..or just at 16 weeks, yes? I would say 16-18 weeks for her breed. Bella, even if she wasn't sick, would be more like 20-22 weeks, from my experience...and given her being ill @ this point in time, might delay it even more. (Notice I say 'might delay it even more'; with your excellent care, I am thinking positive that she will pull through this and lay you some very nice shade of deep brown eggs that you will 'ooh and ahhh' over!:))

Back
Top Bottom