There's a brush fire a few miles from our home. Our home is the blue dot and the fire is at the red dot.View attachment 3215161
Fortunately the wind is pushing it northwest away from us and toward the lake. Unfortunate that the water level is down and that area which is usually swampy is dry now. Prayers for the shower west of there to move over and help the firefighters.

Rest in peace my lovely Dotty

My lovely Dotty has died after a mystery illness of only a couple of days.
She leaves an outsized hole in our lives including for her partner in crime and inseparable companion, Minnie.

I never knew whether Dotty loved me, or hated me. In the end I believe she just saw me as an inferior being who needed to be reminded of my place in life.

In spite of my complicated relationship with Dotty, I loved her dearly. I was so happy to find that she was very often in my presence. She liked to be near me, to explain things to me, and just hang out. She was quite tolerant of me stroking her neck and wattles.

Her tail and fluffy butt were a wonderful sight and she was always alert to whatever was going on around us.

In her short time - she was only 2 years and 3 months old - she lived life to the full and on her own terms.
She loved to sunbathe by my chair; she loved to fly; she molted when the temperature was single digits Fahrenheit; and she would always poop on her eggs. Always.

She was obsessed with pecking my ankles, and fortunately, before she died, Dotty passed on her knowledge of ankle pecking to none other than Lulu, so the tradition will live on.

Farewell Dotty, may wherever you are going be populated with many ankles to attack. I did my best for you and I am so sorry it was not enough.
I miss you already.

Here are some pictures to celebrate Dotty's short life - inevitably many of my photos are together with Minnie. Dotty is the one with the much bigger tail and the (ever so slightly) less weird comb.

View attachment 3214924View attachment 3214925View attachment 3214927View attachment 3214928View attachment 3214930View attachment 3214931View attachment 3214932View attachment 3214934View attachment 3214935View attachment 3214936View attachment 3214937View attachment 3214939View attachment 3214940View attachment 3214941View attachment 3214942View attachment 3214943View attachment 3214944View attachment 3214945View attachment 3214946View attachment 3214947View attachment 3214948View attachment 3214950View attachment 3214951View attachment 3214952View attachment 3214953View attachment 3214954View attachment 3214955View attachment 3214956View attachment 3214958View attachment 3214959View attachment 3214960View attachment 3214961View attachment 3214962View attachment 3214963View attachment 3214964
:hugs
:hit :hugs :hit :hit :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hit:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

There's a brush fire a few miles from our home. Our home is the blue dot and the fire is at the red dot.View attachment 3215161
Oh no! Be very careful I know how fast those can move.

Do you have a fire evacuation plan? I have one for the horses - but now I have the chickens I should review it. There is an awful lot of bush here too.

Fortunately the wind is pushing it northwest away from us and toward the lake. Unfortunate that the water level is down and that area which is usually swampy is dry now. Prayers for the shower west of there to move over and help the firefighters.
I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

The old order changeth, yielding place to new.
Morte d’Arthur by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Roosting changes.
Minnie has moved up a place on the big roost to take over Dotty’s traditional spot.
Bernadette has changed roost to take up Minnie’s old spot.
I wonder what Lulu will do. She is delaying the decision as long as possible!
View attachment 3215142
So what did Lulu do??

So what did Lulu do??
Honestly you can't make this stuff up.
Lulu hopped up to the main roost next to Bernadette. All was calm.
Then Lulu (who truth be told has ants in her pants and can never sit still) decided she would go back down and reconsider where she slept last night. She decides she likes it there.
So then Bernadette is left wondering whether to stay put or join Lulu, or explore a completely different roost.
Having explored the different roost she decided to join Lulu. So the two Hooligans are back where they have been for ages on the Hooligan roost!
:lau

Honestly you can't make this stuff up.
Lulu hopped up to the main roost next to Bernadette. All was calm.
Then Lulu (who truth be told has ants in her pants and can never sit still) decided she would go back down and reconsider where she slept last night. She decides she likes it there.
So then Bernadette is left wondering whether to stay put or join Lulu, or explore a completely different roost.
Having explored the different roost she decided to join Lulu. So the two Hooligans are back where they have been for ages on the Hooligan roost!
:lau
Too cute 😊 but what I would expect really! It’s familiar and safe ❤️

Back
Top Bottom