Yes I was thinking it might be safer to just wait till the weekend anyways so I am around all day.

He is doing ok getting out in his little paddock after work. He doesnā€™t seem to be a fretful or anxious guy and seems quite happy to sit with the fan blowing on his face šŸ˜
You are doing very well with him.

It's Piou-piou (name on hold to see if she/he survives and what gender it choses!). From the beginning it has been late in growth and development and it's now about one month behind, half the size of Lea I would say. Other than that, it's active, doing well, eating and growing.
I was very pessimistic as all the threads on BYC about slow growing chicks ended with the chick dying between 6 and 10 weeks or staying very backward, but this one hasn't been showing signs of weakness up to now. It is much more shy with us than the other three however. You can sort of see the size difference next to Gaston and then next to LĆ©a.
View attachment 3215531
View attachment 3215532

Beautiful! But the hair....I'm straight back in my teenage punk goth days.
View attachment 3215545
I am glad she is doing well so far. May she grow up to a little angel (or devil).

Arenā€™t they awesome though? I could have easily been an entomologist - this morning I was trying to save a spider from being gobbled up by Misty - too late he was a goner! The gals have every bug, spider and whatnot gobbled up within 2ā€™ of the floor in the stalls hahahaha - Misty can use the extra protein, after being broody for so long she is only weighs around 4lbs.View attachment 3215570
I have so many spiders in the yard right now, way more than last year. I am thinking maybe it is related to the increased mosquitos population? They are fairly good sized too. I can go collect over 30 at any given time. I do give them to the sweeties if they got into my every day path.

So pretty!
And your grass looks like mine after I have mowed - I believe in mowing high because it is better for other species of plants (aka weeds which I encourage) and for insects. It stresses the grass less too.
Now you know you can celebrate your grass!
Oh and grass? Mine is all going yellow in the drought!
I will have to take a picture of the rest of the yard, it is taller. Dirt is loving the fact that it is so tall but it does pose a problem. I tend to be overrun with Copperheads. I do not like it this tall as it makes it easier for the snakes to hide. Keep in mind the area flooding has not only affected the people, but the animals as well. A woman got bit twice on the foot at the entrance of my local Wal-Mart a few days ago by a Copperhead.

I will have to take a picture of the rest of the yard, it is taller. Dirt is loving the fact that it is so tall but it does pose a problem. I tend to be overrun with Copperheads. I do not like it this tall as it makes it easier for the snakes to hide. Keep in mind the area flooding has not only affected the people, but the animals as well. A woman got bit twice on the foot at the entrance of my local Wal-Mart a few days ago by a Copperhead.
Yikes! That is scary. Bernadette disturbed a large snake in the long grass yesterday but our snakes are mostly non-deadly.

Here is Luluā€™s mugshot to wish you all a happy Monday.
Her comb is getting more eccentric by the day. And it has to be said, she can be a very annoying little chicken. She is exceptionally vocal. Second only to Maggie and that is saying something. And she will not stand still for even a moment. She has her beak in everyoneā€™s business and somehow everyone just tolerates her.
And she pecks me. She has taken her mission to carry on Dottyā€™s legacy in that department a bit too much to heart. Not just my ankles - arms, fingers, nose - it is all fair game to her. It hurts!
F930ED11-FA87-4695-9FCB-5D75938A76E4.jpeg
359BAB5F-423F-47B5-BC3E-C53573936E51.jpeg

Meanwhile, I am worried about Minnie. She is not looking her normal perky self. I am hoping it is grief and loneliness and she will gradually adjust. But I do worry about her health-wise as she never restarted laying after being very sick with sour crop.
I hope she perks up.

Chiquita finally decided to bring the chicks out for a bit yesterday afternoon. She is still not ready to have them out all day, after a hour she was done and headed back into the coop. They are a week and a half old and still tiny. Right now they are the size of my pure Marans at hatch. I also got a shock when they came out into the light. Hoppy the silkie, is not going to be a black silkie. I will just say it, silkie's and their quirks and colors throw me. I assumed since it hatched out black, and has a solid black daddy it would be black. I'll let the pictures and video's show you just how wrong I am.
View attachment 3215566View attachment 3215567

Overlook my yard. I know the grass desperately needs mowing, but first I need it to dry up a bit. Since the flooding started I have had 1 full day without some rain so I'm still walking around in a mud pit. I do believe the weather, and muddy state of my yard may be why Chiquita has felt more comfortable keeping confined to the coop.
They are absolutely adorable! I wouldn't have expected them to be pure black given momma is ?brown/caramel? (not sure of official name for her colouring). But they look lovely and I think will be absolutely beautiful, despite not being fully black. I suppose you won't really know final color until they are mostly feathered out.

Back
Top Bottom