Speaking of Drummie it is hard to believe that in 10 days he will have been gone a year. I miss him terribly and wonder what he would look like now as he was just hitting full maturity. I bet he would have been so handsome. As much as I miss him though I know if I still had him I would not have kept my Bubba, and I think that would have been a mistake letting him go. I'm also not sure if Drummie would have tolerated Branch becoming top rooster. Actually, change that, I know he would not have. Deep down I know Branch would have eventually challenged him, and while not mean in the least Drummie would have giving him a beating which probably would have had to result in me letting Branch go. I never could have said this at this time last year. While I cherish and treasure every minute spent with my Drumstick, I do not think I could trade out any of my current 3 boys.
:hugs :hugs

I fully understand your personal hatred. The ONLY thing keeping me from declaring open season on them last year was the thought of jail time. Hawks truly are beautiful creatures, when they are not circling my yard. I took these the day Chiquita's chicks were hatching. This guy was perched on a tree on the hill in front of my house. I know he was exhausted as the crows had been chasing and harassing him for 2 days. Go Crows!!
View attachment 3216420View attachment 3216422View attachment 3216423View attachment 3216425View attachment 3216426
Very cool photos. I would not let him hang out like that here and I'm certain you did not let him astray by you. They are amazing animals but not allowed at my house. I will hurt them.

I've heard from older family members that it is similar to pheasant and Quail. Back in the day people when times were tough they ate everything.
Maybe we will have to go back to those times the way things are going.

If nothing else I need my eggs and don't want a hawk taking my girls. I'm sure free range egg Farmers won't stand by while these creatures play havoc and kill their bird's. Dogs can be shot for killing livestock then so should hawks

I have a very personal hatred of hawks. If legal, I would actively hunt them. It's not, so I do everything short of that.

I get that he would defend his birds to the end as would any of us. But he is former law enforcement so I am holding him to a higher standard.
An air soft rifle can still have a scope. :oops:

You know, the older generations know what they are talking about when it comes to hunting game. I was told when I was younger that snapping turtle was delicious, I thought they were crazy. Tried it in my teens and now I like turtle at least once a year. My great-granny swore before she passed that groundhog and opossum and coon was delicious if fixed like a roast. I broke over and tried groundhog when she fixed it....she was right. I could not make myself try coon or opossum, but knowing her, the way she cooked, I probably would have loved it. Both she and my late uncle swore that hawk was tasty if fixed properly. I can cook, and cook well, but my one regret is not spending more time in the kitchen with her learning some of her tricks.

ok, I owe more tax now.
DSCN8553.JPG

Back
Top Bottom