Busted big girls.
View attachment 3217041
The evil bat is at it again and this time she has conspirators. Not only had Momma hen been hiding her eggs, suddenly I stopped getting eggs from Squirrel as well. The real shocker is if you look close enough there are a few pullet eggs from one of the hooligans as well. This is under my house, had to take down a piece of tin about a month ago to retrieve a chainsaw from under the floor. Dad decided not to fully reattach it for the time being. I would not have found them except when I was handing out treats Squirrel came tearing out from under the house for her share. Thankfully I found them before the ole bat went to sitting or Raven or Corona found them and disappeared. As soon as my power pack charges up tin is being reattached and I need to go throttle a evil hen or 3.
View attachment 3217044
Mine haven’t tried for a haystring nest before! You have to admire the sneaky creativity. 18 eggs in the nest I found, so if anyone else goes broody here in the next few days they are getting those ones. My bully girl is sitting again. I’m not going to fight her for it, and an ISA red “don’t go broody breed” is due in the next little while as well! 🤦‍♀️ crazy chickens!

It is 95F/35C in the shade. The human servant is getting heat stroke as she runs back and forth with ice for the waterers.
She has opened a patio umbrella to create extra shade to supplement the trees, shrubs, and roofed parts of the run.
So what is a poor chicken to do?

9422ACA7-5054-42A6-8A88-E6D691D4E61B.jpeg
sunbathe of course!

Hope I did the spoiler right.

It is 95F/35C in the shade. The human servant is getting heat stroke as she runs back and forth with ice for the waterers.
She has opened a patio umbrella to create extra shade to supplement the trees, shrubs, and roofed parts of the run.

View attachment 3217137sunbathe of course!

You got the spoiler exactly right! Love it!!!

View attachment 3217137sunbathe of course!

Our poor little feathered ones.

There was almost a sigh of relief as Princess squated down too be picked up, as if she knew I was going to bring her inside today. She was panting badly and after a cool dip she was next to Tina in my living room.

Princess has become a lot more confident and made herself at home within and hour then demanded to go back out 4 hours later by then there was a nice few shaded areas and my lovely clean girl muddied herself up again, just how she likes it.

I made sure there was plenty of water and the enjoyed fruits in yogurt earlier in the morning. They were both dusted up as was their coop and I'm about to shut up the coop for the night but I am leaving gaps for ventilation.

Last edited:
@Ponypoor now that you have a rooster again let this be a warning to you. I was actively hunting that bats nest. If Squirrel had not ruined it for her, Momma hen may have had a chance to top her previous record of 10 chicks. Never would I have imagined she would resort to laying under the house.
Awesome hahahaha

:lau :lau

I wouldn’t be crawling under the house!

How many eggs did she have under there?

This is very helpful and thank you for suggesting this. I am open to any help.

Tonight will be the third time I try to clip down that gorgeous headdress of hers. They grow so fast! It is also a stressful thing for her, me, and most of all Mrs BY Bob.
Oh, I had no idea you could do that! I was thinking like a womans hair clip to hold them down for a bit just to see if that was the issue or not. In retrospect that would probably scare her more then cutting them would :(

I hope it goes smoothly for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom