Poor Henny Penny got stuck in the mesh fence when she tried escape, which cause her to start squawking up a storm, this caused my mum and aunt to run up to what was going on.

I was putting bread in the oven (trying to at least!), my aunt called up to the house on her cell phone ‘come quick one of the chickens is laying o it’s side’. Which had me running to the barn!

By the time I got there mum and my aunt had figured out that Henny Penny had become snagged in the fence and knocked it over on top of her, this caused the poor Rooster to started screaming up a storm and all the other hens to start!

By the time I got there 30 seconds later all were free but still freaked out! I tried to calm them down but even my singing wouldn’t quiet them….

I think your singing did calm them a bit. I watched thinking poor rooster thinks he has joined a madhouse with all those ladies shrieking at once!
:lau

I tried moving Sydney and she would have none of it. I wish I had an idea on how to get them to choose your site.

Is there any way to improve the nest while they are off it. Maybe make a deeper box and slide it into the current nest box while they are off?
I do, though, want them to move, as they get kicked off these nests - the most popular ones. I have 11 this group can access - they have to pick 2 of the 3 most used. (Note, 4 are not used, another 2 only marginally used.... 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

Maggie stopped by for a chat. She had a lot to say about Lulu’s nest box choosing shenanigans and about Bernadette trying to take her spot on the roost.
I think she also apologized to me for giving me such a hard time when I give her antibiotics. She definitely did not commit to making it any easier for the remaining doses.
I like that she comes to chat. I am just sitting here reading. No treats. So unless she comes for the literature, she must just like to chat.
I love that about her. ❤️❤️
View attachment 3223019
She is truly a wonderful hen. ❤️

So, Barred Rocks are supposed to be broody (based on the standard and @Ribh ) I've had adult BR hens for more than 6 years now and never had one go broody - until now. I have 3 that are broody, and another DC has a hidden nest and is sitting (I finally found it!)

Interestingly enough, all 3 broody BRs are my heritage girls (2 are 1 yr. old, 1 is 2 years old - the 2 yr. old is one of a couple in my first 'batch!) So, evidently, 'production BRs' and 'heritage BRs' are also not alike [in general - Sydney excluded!!] in broodiness.

I wish I could get her/them to move. 2 went broody in my 'green coop' the first I made, and the next boxes aren't deep enough, and they are breaking the eggs. I tried to move one of them to a more suitable nest box, and she wasn't having it. She screamed all day yesterday and refused to sit on the new nest (which, by the way, had HER eggs in it!)

Anyone have good suggestions other than 'move them at night' to get them to consider relocating their broody nest?? I would love to have a couple more girls hatch and raise some babies.
I said BR's were broody???? 😶 I had 1 my 1st year but never again. It's my Campine I complain about. Supposed to be a non~broody breed but she has 2 or 3 attempts each season. She is already making moves that way this season & I have 2 bantams sitting on nothing while we are still in winter with our coldest days still to come.🙄

Maggie stopped by for a chat. She had a lot to say about Lulu’s nest box choosing shenanigans and about Bernadette trying to take her spot on the roost.
I think she also apologized to me for giving me such a hard time when I give her antibiotics. She definitely did not commit to making it any easier for the remaining doses.
I like that she comes to chat. I am just sitting here reading. No treats. So unless she comes for the literature, she must just like to chat.
I love that about her. ❤️❤️
View attachment 3223019
Maggie looks very lovely (& wise) there! I am sure she must be a great conversationalist:love

Poor Henny Penny got stuck in the mesh fence when she tried escape, which cause her to start squawking up a storm, this caused my mum and aunt to run up to what was going on.

I was putting bread in the oven (trying to at least!), my aunt called up to the house on her cell phone ‘come quick one of the chickens is laying o it’s side’. Which had me running to the barn!

By the time I got there mum and my aunt had figured out that Henny Penny had become snagged in the fence and knocked it over on top of her, this caused the poor Rooster to started screaming up a storm and all the other hens to start!

By the time I got there 30 seconds later all were free but still freaked out! I tried to calm them down but even my singing wouldn’t quiet them….

That made everyone here stop and listen. Then once you started singing they all went back about their scratching. I think they recognize your voice now! 😆

Back
Top Bottom