Oh yes, I totally see what you mean.
Sorry to put you through the effort 'cos I got no suggestions! As you say, if you raised it in front it would get too small to get in and out. Though you might check that - even the big girls can get in through some tight spaces.
I still don't see the problem. Sydney, a Barred Rock, hatched the eggs successfully in this nest box, flat bottom, deep straw, 3 inch lip. She broke no eggs. It may not be the perfect wild hen nest but it can work.

I am a little confused by your pictures @bgmathteach . Are there dividers between the nest boxes? It looked like open space in one of the photos.
20220814_194034.jpg

Aurora does not have a trusting number 2. That's for sure. Hattie does not work with her like she did with Lilly.
Well, I don't blame her...Aurora never did cut her any slack after taking the #2 spot from her. And Hattie suddenly got dumped by Lilly, who used to be her bestie. Poor Hattie, can't trust anyone.

Well, I don't blame her...Aurora never did cut her any slack after taking the #2 spot from her. And Hattie suddenly got dumped by Lilly, who used to be her bestie. Poor Hattie, can't trust anyone.
I hope that her and Lady Featherington can be friends but who knows.

I still don't see the problem. Sydney, a Barred Rock, hatched the eggs successfully in this nest box, flat bottom, deep straw
These 2, heritage BRs, have a significant;y bigger frame. And, they are breaking them :(

I am a little confused by your pictures @bgmathteach . Are there dividers between the nest boxes? It looked like open space in one of the photos.
Yes, the whole span is about 3.5' wide, and there are 2 dividers to create 3 nest boxes. The center box is not being used by a broodie, hens are reluctantly laying some in there, but the two ends are by far the preferred nest boxes.

These 2, heritage BRs, have a significant;y bigger frame. And, they are breaking them :(

Yes, the whole span is about 3.5' wide, and there are 2 dividers to create 3 nest boxes. The center box is not being used by a broodie, hens are reluctantly laying some in there, but the two ends are by far the preferred nest boxes.
How deep do you want your sand?

Everyone keep one of my red girls in your thoughts. I'm in full blown emergency mode right now with her. The people that are renting the house down at the barn got a new pup 2 months ago. They have kept her tied up until this evening. She got ahold of one of my girls. She is alive, but is in obvious shock and has a dime size puncture hole on her back, it does not look too deep though. Mom is working with the hen, I'm going out to do a head count on everyone else, and dad is on his way to have a not so nice talk with her owner. I'm ready to shoot the dog.

Everyone keep one of my red girls in your thoughts. I'm in full blown emergency mode right now with her. The people that are renting the house down at the barn got a new pup 2 months ago. They have kept her tied up until this evening. She got ahold of one of my girls. She is alive, but is in obvious shock and has a dime size puncture hole on her back, it does not look too deep though. Mom is working with the hen, I'm going out to do a head count on everyone else, and dad is on his way to have a not so nice talk with her owner. I'm ready to shoot the dog.
Oh no!
Hoping for the best.
:fl

Last edited:
More Guessing Games

In other news of note, while i was away yesterday, someone took a dip in the pool! This individual was able to get up in the seats and stand up. Why they did not simply fly out from there..... well.....I can only assume they liked the cool water on their feet. 😆

Mrs BY Bob actually had to get in the pool to get them out.

Guessing time. Who went for a dip yesterday? Post your guess and then check.

View attachment 3222767

Sydney was screaming her lungs off sounding the alarm apparently. I think Hattie might have been pleased to see her off. 😉
What does “get up in the seats” mean for a hint? This one I have no idea but I’m guessing a lighter bird, since you say they could fly out. And not the Rascals, because you would want to be around while they integrate. So Betty?
Looks like Aurora!

Back
Top Bottom