Thank you for this. My expectation is that she will be fine for a good while unless she got infected from remained yolk inside the oviduct. I am debating on a preventative course of antibiotics.

I cracked both eggs. The older one has good hard shell. The newer one has thin shell. I think this is what happened. She did have a crop issue two days ago, resulting her not eating and no energy to lay. However her body is still pumping out eggs which is why the newer egg has thin shell.

For now she is completely back to her normal self. I am also going to tag @RoyalChick @ChicoryBlue @Ponypoor @BY Bob since I have't time to reply some of your comments.

Also Light spits out the calcium citrate tablet as soon as we pop one in. I guess we haven't mastered that. I am going to grind it and put it in scrambled eggs for now.
I am so glad she is better.
Giving a pill to a chicken is a good skill to learn.
You need to hold them under your arm - I actually tend to stand them on the counter and put my left arm around them.
Then you need to use the same hand to hold the back of their head and your other (for me right) hand to hold ipen their beak.
Then you pop the pill in at the side and towards the back and it miraculously disappears.
They then give you a filthy look that goes the minute you offer a free raisin for their troubles!
I am doing this twice a day with Maggie using a bit of bread instead of a pill. The bread is soaked in her antibiotics.

Yes we are all well, the heat is going down. Thank you for asking. The heat remains in the home but hopefully that will go soon

I hope all is well with you? I can see the flock are doing well 👌 how are the horses .
So glad you are doing well.

Wow.

Regarding Inky (my outcast chicken), the girls acted like she is a friend again and Inky wasn't scared of them either... 😐😶🙃 I am speechless with my chickens.

I am going to apply some no pecking/picking spray on Inky and see how it goes at free range this afternoon as a first step.
I don't know if it would be different for you but I bought two different pecking deterrents and the both didn't work :(

Yes you stated it was combined somehow with the other egg. I have to say you seem to be doing amazing coping with your two gals, a sign of a good chicken mama 💕
Thanks. I don't know how large the fused egg was since I only saw shell. It seems normal, but size is clearly not the issue.

I am so glad she is better.
Giving a pill to a chicken is a good skill to learn.
You need to hold them under your arm - I actually tend to stand them on the counter and put my left arm around them.
Then you need to use the same hand to hold the back of their head and your other (for me right) hand to hold ipen their beak.
Then you pop the pill in at the side and towards the back and it miraculously disappears.
They then give you a filthy look that goes the minute you offer a free raisin for their troubles!
I am doing this twice a day with Maggie using a bit of bread instead of a pill. The bread is soaked in her antibiotics.
There is no danger for the pill to go down the wrong tunnel? Either side is fine?

Back
Top Bottom